Effective Image Retrieval for the M-Learning System
In this paper, we propose augmented learning contents (ALC) with the blended learning on mobile devices. It augments on-line contents by indexing the corresponding off-line contents using traditional pattern recognition method, which results in a minimize of labors for conversion. Among the pattern recognition method marker-based is one of most general approach. However it must reconstruct the off-line contents with pattern markers. To solve both drawbacks that use of the pattern markers and difficulty of the color-based image retrieval by means of a low-resolution PDA camera, we used for a shape-based system. CBIR based on object shapes is used instead of pattern markers to link off-line contents with on-line, and shapes are represented by a differential chain code with estimated new starting points to obtain rotation-invariant representation, which is suited to low computational resources of mobile devices. Consequently, the ALC can provide learner with a fast and accurate multimedia contents (video, audio, text) on static off-line contents using mobile devices without space limitation.
KeywordsContents recycling Mobile learning Multimedia education contents Shape-based image retrieval Mobile vision DTW
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Eunjung, H., Keechul, J., Chungjae, I.: E-learning Self-Directed Contents Development for Multimedia. Proceedings of Information Society 21(1), 1019–1022 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.ERICSSON, From e-learning to m-learning (2002), http://learning.ericsson.net/leonardo
- 5.Billinghurst, M., Karo, H., Poupyrev, I.: The MagicBook: A Transitional AR Interface. Computer Graphics, 745–753 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, Y.S., Kao, T., Sheu, J.: A Mobile Butterfly-Learning System for Supporting Independent Learning. In: IEEE International Workshop on Wireless and Mobile Technologies in Education, pp. 11–18 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.KTF, http://www.ktf.co.kr
- 9.Yu, G.J., Chen, Y.S., Shih, K.P.: A Content-based Image Retrieval System for Outdoor Ecology Learning. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Application, vol. 2, pp. 112–115 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Mehrotra, R., Gary, J.E.: Similar-shape retrieval in shape data management. IEEE Computer 28(9), 57–62 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Sajjanhar, A., Lu, G.: A comparison of techniques for shape retrieval. In: Proceedings ofInternational Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications, pp. 854–859 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Yang, H.C.: Shaped-based Image Retrieval by Spatial Topology Distances. In: Proceedings of the ACM workshops on Multimedia: multimedia information retrieval, pp. 38–41 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Shapiro, L.G., Stockman, G.C.: Computer Vision. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River (2001)Google Scholar
- 17.Veltkamp, R.C., Tanase, M.: Content-based Image Retrieval Systems: A Survey. Technical Report, UU-CS-2000-34 (2000)Google Scholar