Working Together in Developing Library and Information Science Education in the Asia Pacific
Ongoing initiatives that offer potential collaboration and cooperation among LIS educators, particularly in the Asia Pacific context, are identified and discussed. By no means being exhaustive, these areas include hosting and participating in workshops, symposiums and conferences; implementing a portal for education; developing a repository of learning objects and resources; assuring quality through accreditation; and promoting and sustaining research and scholarship. These are highlighted with the aim to foster and promote dialogue among LIS educators, researchers and practitioners, and to engender participation in these activities. Collectively, these areas lay a foundation to create an informal network to improve information exchange and dissemination, knowledge sharing and creation, and research collaboration, thereby helping to further improve and ensure high standards of LIS education, practice and research in the region.
KeywordsDigital Library Asia Pacific Region Digital Preservation Information Professional American Library Association
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Asian Communication Resource Centre: ACRC Fellowship Award (2006) (accessed September 8, 2006), available at: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/sci/research/acrc.html
- 2.Chaudhry, A., Khoo, C.S.G., Theng, Y.L., Halim, A.: Issues in developing a repository of learning objects for LIS education in Asia. In: Proceedings of the World Library and Information Congress: 72nd IFLA General Conference and Council, Seoul, Korea, August 20-24 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Khoo, C., Majid, S., Chaudhry, A.: Developing an accreditation system for LIS professional education programmes in Southeast Asia: Issues and perspectives. Malaysian Journal of Library & Information Science 8(2) (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Khoo, S.G.C., Singh, D., Chaudhry, A. (eds.): Proceedings of the Asia-Pacific Conference on Library & Information Education and Practice 2006 (A-LIEP2006), Singapore, April 3-6 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Majid, S., Chaudhry, A., Foo, S., Logan, E.: Accreditation of library and information studies programmes in Southeast Asia: A proposed model. Singapore Journal of Library and Information Management 32, 58–59 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Nanyang Technological University, Asia-Pacific Conference on Library & Information Education and Practice 2006 (A-LIEP2006): Preparing Information Professionals for Leadership in the New Age (2006) (accessed 8 September 2006), available at: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/sci/A%2DLIEP/
- 9.Foo, S., Theng, Y.L.: A snapshot of digital library development: The way forward in the Asia Pacific. In: Theng, Y.L., Foo, S. (eds.) Design and Usability of Digital Libraries: Case Studies in the Asia Pacific, pp. 351–370. Idea Group Publishing, Hershey (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.University of Tsukuba, International Symposium on Digital Libraries and Knowledge Communities in Networked Information Society (DLKC 2004) (2004) (accessed September 8, 2006), available at: http://www.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/dlkc/
- 11.University of Tsukuba, Annual Symposium of the Research Center for Knowledge Communities: New Directions for Information Science Education in the Networked Information Society (2006) (accessed September 8, 2006), available at: http://www.kc.tsukuba.ac.jp/symposium2006/Site/KC%20Symposium.html