Management of Metadata Standards: The Case of UNIMARC
UNIMARC is a family of bibliographic metadata schemas with formats for descriptive information, classification, authorities and holdings. This paper describes the problem of maintenance and management of these schemas, with their online publishing for human and machine readable. This is accomplished by a Model View Controller (MVC) architecture managing the format schemas and schema descriptions in XML, as model representations, and XSLT transformations for the publishing in HTML, PDF, and other possible option. This work is an activity of a larger project toward the development of the international UNIMARC Metadata Registry, in the scope of the IFLA-CDNL Alliance for Bibliographic Standards activities.
KeywordsResource Description Framework Class Diagram Format Schema Schema Description Metadata Standard
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IFLA - UNIMARC Manual: Bibliographic Format (1994), http://www.ifla.org/VI/3/p1996-1/sec-uni.htm
- 2.LoC - MARC Standards, MARC in XML (September 2004), http://www.loc.gov/marc/marcxml.html
- 3.ISO. ISO/DIS 25577: Information and documentation – MarcXchange (November 30, 2005), http://www.niso.org/international/SC4/n577.pdf
- 4.Moats, R.: URN Syntax, RFC 2141 (May 1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Clark, J.: XSL Transformations (XSLT) Version 1.0 (November 1999), http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt
- 6.ISO/IEC 11179, Information Technology - Metadata Registries (MDR), http://metadata-standards.org/11179