An Efficient Scheme for Detecting Malicious Nodes in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
This paper proposes a scheme capable of effectively detecting a malicious node that normally operates during determination of a route over a mobile ad-hoc network (MANET) but modifies or drops data during data transmission or reports wrong information regarding a normal node, using a report message and a report table that list reporter nodes and suspect nodes. In the existing schemes, a malicious node that provides wrong information can be easily identified but cannot be removed from a network. To solve this problem, the proposed scheme determines a suspect node as a malicious node when more than k lists of reporter nodes and suspect nodes are recorded in the report table in case where k malicious nodes are over the network. The proposed scheme is applicable to both DSR and AODV routing.
KeywordsMobile Node Source Node Destination Node Malicious Node Normal Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yang, H., Luo, H., Ye, F., Lu, S., Zhang, L.: Security in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Challenges and Solutions. IEEE Wireless Communications (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Hu, Y., Perring, A., Johnson, D.: Ariadne - A Secure On-Demand Routing Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks. ACM MOBICOM (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Marti, S., et al.: Mitigating Routing Misbehavior in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. ACM MOBICOM (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Zapata, M., Asokan, N.: Securing Ad Hoc Routing Protocols. ACM WiSe (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Hu, Y., Johnson, D., Perring, A.: Sead - Secure Efficient Distance Vector Routing for Mobile Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE WMCSA (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Awerbuch, B., et al.: An On-Demand Secure Routing Protocol Resilient to Byzantine Failures. ACM WiSe (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Na, G., et al.: Secure Mechanism to manage selfish nodes in Ad hoc Network. JCCI (2004)Google Scholar