Fuzzy Forecasting with DNA Computing
There are many forecasting techniques including: exponential smoothing, ARIMA model, GARCH model, neural networks and genetic algorithm, etc. Since financial time series may be influenced by many factors, conventional model based techniques and hard computing methods seem inadequate in the prediction. Those methods, however, have their drawbacks and advantages. In recent years, the innovation and improvement of forecasting techniques have caught more attention, and also provides indispensable information in decision-making process. In this paper, a new forecasting technique, named DNA forecasting, is developed. This may be of use to a nonlinear time series forecasting. The methods combined the mathematical, computational, and biological sciences. In the empirical study, we demonstrated a novel approach to forecast the exchange rates through DNA. The mean absolute forecasting accuracy method is defined and used in evaluating the performance of linguistic forecasting. The comparison with ARIMA model is also illustrated.
KeywordsLinguistic Variable Forecast Performance ARIMA Model Closing Price Forecast Technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Adams, J.: On the Application of DNA Based Computation (1998), http://publish.uwo.ca/~jadams/dnaapps1.htm
- 2.Adleman, L.: Computing with DNA. Scientific American 279, 34–41 (1988)Google Scholar
- 4.Boneh, D., Dunworth, C., Lipton, R., Sgall, J.: On the Computational Power of DNA. DAMATH: Discrete Applied Mathematics and Combinatorial Operations Research and Computer Science 71 (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Johnson, R.C.: Time to Engineer DNA Computers. EE Times (2001), http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20001221s0032
- 15.Miller, C.: Using DNA Algorithms to Solve NP-Complete Problems, http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~jamie/.Refs/Courses/CS881/charlotte.html
- 19.Parker, J.: Computing with DNA. European Molecular Biology Organization Reports 4, 7–10 (2003)Google Scholar
- 22.Reif, J.H., LaBean, T.H., Pirrug, M., Rana, V.S., Guo, B., Kingsford, C., Wickham, G.S.: Experimental construction of a very large scale DNA database with associatice search capability. In: The 7th International Workshop on DNA-Based Computers, pp. 241–250 (2001)Google Scholar