A Multi-objective Particle Swarm Optimizer Hybridized with Scatter Search
This paper presents a new multi-objective evolutionary algorithm which consists of a hybrid between a particle swarm optimization (PSO) approach and scatter search. The main idea of the approach is to combine the high convergence rate of the particle swarm optimization algorithm with a local search approach based on scatter search. We propose a new leader selection scheme for PSO, which aims to accelerate convergence. Upon applying PSO, scatter search acts as a local search scheme, improving the spread of the nondominated solutions found so far. Thus, the hybrid constitutes an efficient multi-objective evolutionary algorithm, which can produce reasonably good approximations of the Pareto fronts of multi-objective problems of high dimensionality, while only performing 4,000 fitness function evaluations. Our proposed approach is validated using ten standard test functions commonly adopted in the specialized literature. Our results are compared with respect to a multi-objective evolutionary algorithm that is representative of the state-of-the-art in the area: the NSGA-II.
KeywordsPareto Front Multiobjective Optimization Scatter Search Nondominated Solution Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Deb, K., Thiele, L., Laumanns, M., Zitzler, E.: Scalable Test Problems for Evolutionary Multiobjective Optimization. In: Abraham, A., Jain, L., Goldberg, R. (eds.) Evolutionary Multiobjective Optimization. Theoretical Advances and Applications, pp. 105–145. Springer, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Eshelman, L.J., Schaffer, J.D.: Real-coded Genetic Algorithms and Interval-Schemata. In: Darrell Whitley, L. (ed.) Foundations of Genetic Algorithms 2, pp. 187–202. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, California (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Swarm Intelligence. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, California (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Laguna, M., Martí, R.: Scatter Search: Methodology and Implementations in C. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Mostaghim, S., Teich, J.: Strategies for Finding Good Local Guides in Multi-objective Particle Swarm Optimization (MOPSO). In: 2003 IEEE SIS Proceedings, Indianapolis, USA, April 2003, pp. 26–33. IEEE Service Center, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Van Veldhuizen, D.A.: Multiobjective Evolutionary Algorithms: Classifications, Analyses, and New Innovations. PhD thesis, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Graduate School of Engineering. Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio (May 1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Zitzler, E., Deb, K., Thiele, L.: Comparison of multiobjective evolutionary algorithms: Empirical results. Evolutionary Computation 8(2), 173–195 (summer, 2000)Google Scholar