Minimum-Energy Broadcasting in Wireless Networks in the d-Dimensional Euclidean Space (The α≤d Case)
We consider the problem of minimizing the total energy assigned to nodes of wireless network so that broadcasting from the source node to all other nodes is possible. This problem has been extensively studied especially under the assumption that the nodes correspond to points in the Euclidean two- or three-dimensional space and the broadcast range of a node is proportional to at most the α root of the energy assigned to the node where α is not less than the dimension d of the space. In this paper, we study the case α≤d, providing several tight upper and lower bounds on approximation factors of known heuristics for minimum energy broadcasting in the d-dimensional Euclidean space.
KeywordsWireless Network Source Node Minimum Span Tree Approximation Factor Short Path Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Clementi, A.E.F., Crescenzi, P., Penna, P., Rossi, G., Vocca, P.: A Worst-case Analysis of an MST-based Heuristic to Construct Energy-Efficient Broadcast Trees in Wireless Networks. ManuscriptGoogle Scholar
- 8.Clementi, A.E.F., Huiban, G., Penna, P., Rossi, G., Verhoeven, Y.C.: Some Recent Theoretical Advances and Open Questions on Energy Consumption in Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proc. 3rd Workshop on Approximation and Randomization Algorithms in Communication Networks (ARACNE 2002), pp. 23–38 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Haas, Z., Tabrizi, S.: On Some Challenges and Design Choices in Ad-Hoc Communications. In: Proc. of the IEEE Military Communication Conference (MILCOM 1998), pp. 187–192 (1998)Google Scholar
- 14.Klasing, R., Navarra, A., Papadopoulos, A., Pérénnes, S.: Adaptive broadcast consumption (ABC), a new heuristic and new bounds for the minimum energy broadcast routing problem. In: Mitrou, N.M., Kontovasilis, K., Rouskas, G.N., Iliadis, I., Merakos, L. (eds.) NETWORKING 2004. LNCS, vol. 3042, pp. 866–877. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Lauer, G.S.: Packet radio routing, ch.11. In: Streenstrup, M. (ed.) Routing in communication networks, pp. 351–396. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1995)Google Scholar
- 16.Li, G., Fan, P., Cai, K.: On the geometrical characteristics of three dimensional wireless ad-hoc networks and its applications. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications & Networking (to appear)Google Scholar
- 19.Wan, P.J., Calinescu, G., Li, X.Y., Frieder, O.: Minimum-energy broadcast routing in static ad hoc wireless networks. In: Proc. 20th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM 2001), pp. 1162–1171 (2001)Google Scholar
- 20.Wieselthier, J.E., Nguyen, G.D., Ephremides, A.: On the construction of energy-efficient broadcast and multicast trees in wireless networks. In: Proc. 19th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM 2000), pp. 585–594 (2000)Google Scholar