Multiple Description Coding Using Adaptive Error Recovery for Real-Time Video Transmission
Real-time video transmission over packet networks faces several challenges such as limited bandwidth and packet loss. Multiple description coding (MDC) is an efficient error-resilient tool to combat the problem of packet loss. The main problem of MDC is the mismatch of reference frames in encoder and decoder, when some descriptions are lost during transmission. This paper presents an adaptive error recovery (AER) scheme for multiple description video coding. The proposed AER scheme, which is based on statistical analysis, can adaptively determine the nearly optimal error recovery (ER) method among our predefined ER methods such as interpolation, block replacement and motion vector (MV) reusing. The AER scheme has three advantages. First, it efficiently reduces the mismatch error. Second, it is completely based on pre- post-processing which requires no modification of the source coder. Third, it has low computational complexity, which is suitable for real-time video applications. Simulation results demonstrate that our proposed AER scheme achieves better performance compared with MDC with fixed error recovery (FER) scheme over lossy networks.
KeywordsPacket Loss Motion Vector Video Code Error Recovery Multiple Description
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Arsura, E., Fumagalli, M., Lancini, R.C.: Multiple Description Coding Approach for Internet Video Delivery. In: Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP), pp. 69–79 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, G.J., Stevenson, R.L.: Efficient Error Recovery for Multiple Description Video Coding. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 2, pp. 829–832 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Zheng, J.H., Chau, L.P.: Multiple Description Coding Using Multiple Reference Frame for Robust Video Transmission. In: IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, vol. 4, pp. 4006–4009 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Boulgouris, N.V., Zachariadis, K.E., Leontaris, A.N., Strintzis, M.G.: Drift-free Multiple Description Coding of Video. In: IEEE Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, pp. 105–110 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Xvid core library source code 1.1.0, http://download.xvid.org/downloads/xvid-core-1.1.0.zip