Detection and Characterization of Abnormal Vascular Patterns in Automated Cervical Image Analysis
In colposcopy, mosaic and punctation are two major abnormal vessels associated with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN). Detection and characterization of mosaic and punctation in digital cervical images is a crucial step towards developing a computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) system for cervical cancer screening and diagnosis. This paper presents automated techniques for detection and characterization of mosaic and punctation vessels in cervical images. The techniques are based on iterative morphological operations with various sizes of structural elements, in combination with adaptive thresholding. Information about color, region, and shape properties is used to refine the detection results. The techniques have been applied to clinical data with promising results.
KeywordsBranch Point Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia Cervical Cancer Screening Mosaic Pattern Vessel Detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Reid, R., Scalzi, P.: Genital warts and cervical cancer. VII. An improved colposcopic index for differentiating benign papillomaviral infections from high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 153(6), 611–618 (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.Srinivasan, Y., Hernes, D., Tulpule, B., Yang, S., et al.: A probabilistic approach to segmentation and classification of neoplasia in uterine cervix images using color and geometric features. In: Proc. of SPIE Medical Imaging, vol. 5747, pp. 995–1003 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, W.: Automated image analysis of uterine cervical images. In: Proc. of SPIE Medical Imaging (submitted, 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Mikhail, M.S., Romney, S.L.: Computerized Measurement of Intercapillary Distance using Image Analysis in Women with Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia: Correlation with Severity. Obstet. Gynecol. 95(4 Supplement), 2S–3S (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Ferris, D., Cox, J.T., O’Connor, D.M., Wright, V.C., Foerster, J.: Modern Colposcopy, Textbook and Atlas. In: Second American Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (2004)Google Scholar