Multiple Description Coding for Robust Video Transmission Over Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks
This paper presents a quality-scalable multiple description coding method for the H.264/AVC for error-resilient video transmission in wireless ad-hoc networks. In the proposed system, each video frame is divided into two regions according to the motion activities in the scene and the more important region is encoded into two independently decodable and equally important descriptions. The two descriptions are transmitted over different paths to a receiver in order to alleviate the effect of unstable channel conditions of wireless ad-hoc networks. If the two descriptions are received error-free, then a high quality video is reconstructed. If one description is lost, then the other description can still be decoded to produce a basic video quality, and furthermore, the correctly received description is used to estimate the lost information of the corrupted description. The proposed MD coder maintains an adequate video quality as long as both description are not simultaneously lost. Simulation results show that the proposed MD coding combined with multi-path transport system is largely immune to packet losses, and therefore, can be a promising solution for robust video communications in wireless ad-hoc networks.
KeywordsPacket Loss Video Quality Packet Loss Rate Error Concealment Multiple Description
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU-T and ISO/IEC JTC1, Advanced video coding for generic audiovisual services, ITU-T Recommendation H.264-ISO/IEC 14496-10 AVC (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Benierbah, S., Khamadja, M.: A new technique for quality scalable video coding with H.264. IEEE Trans. on Ciruits and Syst. Video Tech. 19, 877–908 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Apostolopoulos, J.G.: Reliable video communications over lossy packet networks using multiple state encoding and path diversity. In: Proc. Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP 2001), pp. 392–409 (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Royaer, E.M., Toh, C.-K.: A review of current routing protocols for ad-hoc mobile wireless networks. IEEE Personal Comm., 46–55 (April 1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, Y.-C., Altunbasak, Y., Mersereau, R.M.: A coordinated multiple description scalar quantization and error concealment algorithm for error-resilient video streaming over lossy channels. In: Proc. Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, pp. 99–103 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Begen, A.C., Altunbasak, Y., Ergun, O., Ammar, M.M.: Multi-path selection for multiple description encoded video streaming. In: EURASIP signal processing: image comm., vol. 20, pp. 39–60 (January 2005)Google Scholar