Network-Initiated Fast Handover Scheme Using Virtual Connection over All-IP-Based Wireless Systems
Most of mobility protocols use mobile host (MH)-initiated schemes. However they may cause excessive signaling traffic and long latency for packet delivery. We propose cross-layer, i.e., layer-2 (L2) and layer-3 (L3), handover mechanism with network-initiated handover. It makes virtual connection between the home agent (HA) and the next neighboring Access Control Routers (ACRs), called candidate ACRs, which the MH is predicted to be attached to, with information such as required bandwidth, Quality-of-Service (QoS), and estimated handover delay. Proposed scheme searches candidate ACRs using predicted traveling distance of MH for L3 handover and makes virtual connection prior to L2 handover. In this paper, our goals are to decrease packet loss rate and packet delivery latency which occur due to frequent handover over all-IP-based wireless systems. We have evaluated the performance of our scheme through a series of simulations using the Network Simulator 2 (ns-2).
KeywordsMedium Access Control Packet Delivery Ratio Packet Loss Rate Mobility Management Home Agent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Campbell, A., Gomez, J., Kim, S., Wan, C.: Comparison of IP Micro-mobility Protocols. IEEE Wireless Communications, 72–82 (February 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Perkins, C.: IP Mobility support for IPv4. IETF RFC3344 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Valko, A.: Cellular IP: A New Approach to Internet Host Mobility. ACM Computer Communication Review (January 1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramjee, R., La Porta, T., Salgarelli, S.T., Varadhan, K.: IP-Based Access Network Infrastructure for Next-Generation Wireless Data Networks. IEEE Personal Communications, 34–41 (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Gustafsson, E., Jonsson, A., Perkins, C.: Mobile IPv4 Regional Registration (October 2002) online link, ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-07.txt
- 7.Peters, L., Moerman, I., Dhoedt, B., Demeester, P.: Micro-Mobility Support for Random Access Network Topologies. In: Proc. IEEE WCNC 2004 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Akyildiz, I.F., Xie, J., Mohanty, S.: A survey of Mobility Management in Next-Generation All-IP-Based Wireless Systems. IEEE Wireless Communications (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Yokota, H., Idoue, A., Hasegawa, T., Kato, T.: Link layer Assisted Mobile IP Fast Handover Method over Wireless LAN Networks. In: Proc. ACM MobiCom 2002 (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Xie, J., Akyildiz, I.E.: A Distributed Dynamic Regional Location Management Scheme for Mobile IP. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2002, June 2002, vol. 2, pp. 1069–1078 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Liang, B., Haas, Z.: Predictive Distance-Based Mobility Management for PCS networks. In: Proceeding of the ACM International workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile systems (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Feng, K.-T., Lu, T.-E.: Velocity and Location Aided Routing for Mobile Ad hoc networks, IEEE (2004)Google Scholar