Performance Evaluation of Public Key Based Mechanisms for Mobile IPv4 Authentication in AAA Environments
With the proliferation of mobile terminals, use of the Internet in mobile environments is becoming more common. In order to support mobility in these terminals, Mobile IPv4 was proposed, representing the standard in IPv4 environments. In this environment, authentication should be mandatory, because mobile terminals can utilize Internet services in all foreign domains. Mobile IPv4 provides symmetric key based authentication using the default HMAC-MD5. However, symmetric key based authentication creates a problem, when it comes to key distribution. In order to solve this problem, public key based authentication mechanisms were proposed. In this paper, the performance of each of these mechanisms is evaluated. The results demonstrate that, among these mechanisms, partial certificate based authentication results in superior performance, and certificate based authentication results in the worst performance. This paper creates the possibility of public key based authentication mechanisms being used for future mobile terminal authentication, although current public key based authentication mechanisms result in lower performance than symmetric key based authentication.
KeywordsMobile Node Mobile Terminal Home Agent Message Authentication Code Network Delay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C.: IP Mobility Support for IPv4. RFC 3344 (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.U.S. Department Of Commerce / National Institute of Standards and Technology, Entity Authentication Using Public Key Cryptocraphy (February 1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Jacobs, S., Belgard, S.: Mobile IP Public Key Based Authentication, Internet Draft, draft-jacobs-mobileip-pki-auth-03.txt (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Sufatrio, Lam, K.Y.: Registration Protocol: A Security Attack and New Secure Minimal Public-Key Based Authentication. In: ISPAN 1999 (June 1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, B.-G., Choi, D.-H., Kim, H.-G., Sohn, S.-W., Park, K.-H.: Mobile IP and WLAN with AAA Authentication Protocol using Identity-based Cryptography. In: ICT 2004 (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Hess, A., Schaefer, G.: Performance Evaluation of AAA / Mobile IP Authentication, Tech-nical Report TKN-01-012, Telecommunication Networks Group, Technische Universit?t Berlin (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Beaver, C.L., Gallup, D.R., NeuMann, W.D., Torgerson, M.D.: Key Management for SCADA, SAND2001-3252 (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Proxim Corporation, ORiNOCO AP-2500 Access Point User Guide, Sofeware v2 (March 2004)Google Scholar