Receiver-Based Rate Control with One-Way Trip Time for Multimedia Applications
In the congestion control algorithm, the round trip time (RTT) has been used as a key parameter to estimate the degree of network congestion. However, RTT indicates the packet delays taken in both the forward path (from source to destination) and the backward path (from destination to source). Therefore, the congestion control algorithm based on RTT may falsely trigger the rate control due to the congestion built in the backward path. In this paper, we propose a receiver-based congestion control algorithm in which the network condition is estimated by using the one-way trip time (OTT). By virtue of the use of OTT, the proposed algorithm can effectively decouple the forward path from the backward path when estimating the network congestion. The simulation results confirm the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm.
KeywordsCongestion Control Packet Delay Multimedia Application Round Trip Time Feedback Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Welzl, M., Muhlhauser, M.: Scalability and Quality of Service: A Trade-off? IEEE Communications Magazine, 32–36 (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Widmer, J., Denda, R., Mauve, M.: A Survey on TCP-Friendly Congestion Control. IEEE Network, 28–37 (May/June 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Rejaie, R., Handley, M., Estrin, D.: RAP: An End-to-End Rate-based Congestion Control Mechanism for Realtime Streams in the Internet. In: IEEE Proceedings in Infocom 1999, March 1999, pp. 1337–1345 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Handley, M., et al.: TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC) Protocol Specification. IETF RFC 3448 (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Sisalem, D., Wolisz, A.: LDA+: A TCP-Friendly Adaptation Scheme for Multimedia Communication. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, July 2000, pp. 1619–1622 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Rhee, I., Ozdemir, V., Yi, Y.: TEAR: TCP Emulation at receivers - flow control for mulitmedia streaming, Technical Report, North Carolina State University (April 2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Paxson, V., Allman, M.: Computing TCP’s retransmission timer. IETF RFC 2988 (November 2000)Google Scholar