A Performance Analysis Modeling of a QoS-Enabled Home Gateway
This paper presents a queueing model of a QoS-enabled home gateway. We use to PC based software router as home gateway. The proposed model is M/G/1/K processor sharing. The arriving process is assumed to be Poisson Process which is independent, identically distributed. The service time distribution is general distribution and the service discipline of server is processor sharing. Also, the total number of packets K that can be processed at one time is limited to K. We obtain performance metrics of software router such as blocking probability, throughput and system sojourn time. Validation results show that the model estimates the performance of the home gateway.
KeywordsAverage Response Time Home Network Service Time Distribution Service Discipline Processor Sharing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O’Driscoll, G.: The Essential Guide to Home Netwoking Technologies. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Braden, R., Clark, D., Shenker, S.: Integrated services in the Internet Architecture: An Overview. RFC 1633 (June 1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Blake, S., Black, D., Carlson, M., Davies, E., Wang, Z., Weiss, W.: An architecture for differentiated services. RFC 2475. IETF (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Rosen, E., Viswanathan, A., Callon, R.: Multiprotocol Label Switching Architecture. RFC 3031 (January 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Almesberger, W.: Linux Network Traffic Control - Implementation Overview. EPFL. ICA. (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Nichols, K., Blake, S.: Differentiated Services Operational Model and Definitions. Internet Draft (February 1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Black, D., Blake, S., Carlson, M., Davies, E., Wang, Z., Weiss, W.: An Architecture for Differentiated Services. Internet RFC 2475 (December 1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Radhakrishnan, S.: Linux-Advanced Networking Overview. ITTC. University of KansasGoogle Scholar
- 10.Netherlabs, Maxwell, G., van Mook Martijn, R., van Oosterhout, M., Schroeder, P.B., Spaans, J.: Linux2.4 Advanced Routing Howto. TLDPGoogle Scholar
- 11.King, P.J.B.: Computer and Communication Systems Performance Modeling. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1990)Google Scholar
- 13.National Laboratory for Applied Network Research (NLANR). Iperf Version 2.0.2, http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/