A Resource Management Mechanism for Hose Model Based VPN QoS Provisioning
Among the resource management mechanisms for the hose based Virtual Private Network(VPN) Quality of Service(QoS), VPN-specific state provisioning allows the service provider to obtain highest resource multiplexing gains. However, users of a VPN may experience unfair usage of resources among themselves since the reserved resources of a VPN are shared by the VPN users in a similar way that the traditional LAN bandwidth is shared by the attached hosts. In this paper, we propose a resource reservation protocol and a traffic service mechanism, which not only enable dynamic and automatic resource reservation according to the VPN-specific state provisioning algorithm, but also enforce the fair usage of reserved resources among the users of a VPN in case of congestion.
KeywordsVirtual Private Network Packet Drop Rate Provider Edge Path Message Weight Fair Queuing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Duffield, N.G., Goyal, P., Greenberg, A., Mishra, P., Ramakrishnan, K.K., Van der Merwe, J.E.: Resource Management With Hoses: Point-to-Cloud Services for Virtual Private Networks. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 10(5) (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Kumar, A., Rastogi, R., Silberschatz, A., Yener, B.: Algorithms for Provisioning Virtual Private Networks in the Hose Model. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking 10(4) (August 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.de Veciana, G., Park, S., Sang, A., Weber, S.: Routing and Provisioning VPNs based on Hose Traffic Models and/or Constraints. In: Conference on Communication Control and Computing (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Erlebach, T., Ruegg, M.: Optimal Bandwidth Reservation in Hose-Model VPNs with Multi-Path Routing. In: INFOCOM, vol. 4 (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, Y.-L., Sun, Y.S., Chen, M.C.: MTRA: An On-Line Hose-Model VPN Provisioning Algorithm, Technical Report (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Juttner, A., Szabo, I., Szentesi, A.: On Bandwidth Efficiency of the Hose Resource Management Model in Virtual Private Networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Awduche, D., Berger, L., Gan, D., Li, T., Srinivasan, V., Swallow, G.: RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP for LSP Tunnels, RFC3209 (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Aggarwal, R., Papadimitriou, D., Yasukawa, S.: Extensions to RSVP-TE for Point to Multipoint TE LSPs, draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-te-p2mp-03.txtGoogle Scholar