Open and Association MCTAs Access and Allocation Scheme by Staggering Algorithm in IEEE 802.15.3
The IEEE 802.15.3 medium access control (MAC) protocol is standard for high bit rate wireless personal area network (WPAN). The open or association management channel time allocations (MCTAs) are used by devices(DEVs) for sending command messages or association request command to piconet coordinator (PNC) by means of slotted aloha random access manner. Based on slotted aloha scheme the binary back-off algorithm has been considered as a primary contention resolution candidate due to its simple operation. However it is not appropriate for the future wireless networks because of low throughput and high delay and delay variance. Without loss of generality the goals of the random multiple access algorithm are to maximize the throughput and to minimize the average packet delay. In this paper, we propose a new multiple access protocol named staggering algorithm working on top of slotted aloha scheme. The performance results by NS-2 simulation show that the proposed algorithm achieves the maximum throughput up to 0.54 and guarantees the QoS in terms of delay and delay variance of realtime multimedia traffic.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Allocation Scheme Medium Access Control Protocol Contention Window Wireless Personal Area Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE, 802.15 WPAN task group 3 (TG3), http://www.ieee802.org/15/pub/TG3.html
- 2.IEEE 802.15.3 Working Group, Part 15.3: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for High Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPAN). IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Chin, K.-W., Lowe, D.: Simulation Study of the IEEE 802.15.3 MAC. In: Australian Telecommunications and Network Applications Conference (ATNAC), Sydney, Australia (December 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Rhee, S.H., Chung, K., Kim, Y., Yoon, W., Chang, K.S.: An Application-Aware MAC Scheme for IEEE 802.15.3 High-Rate WPAN. IEEE WCNC (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, B.S., Fang, Y., Wong, T.F.: Rate-Adaptive MAC Protocol in High-Rate Personal Area Networks, IEEE WCNC (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Torok, A., Vajda, L., Youn, K.J., June, S.-D.: Superframe Formation Algorithms in 802.15.3 Networks, IEEE WCNC (March 2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, X., Ren, Y., Zhao, J., Guo, Z., Yao, R.: Comparison of IEEE 802.16e and IEEE 802.15.3 MAC. In: IEEE 6th CAS Symp. On Emerging Technologies, Shanghai, China (May 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Gandolfo, P., Allen, J.: 802.15.3 Overview/Update, The WiMedia Alliance (October 2002)Google Scholar