Voice Traffic Characterization Models in VoIP Transport Network
The motivation for characterization of VoIP traffic is that VoIP quality is mainly affected by some impairments in transport network in terms of delay, jitter and packet loss. It is shown at the paper that the prediction of transport network resource to satisfy the VoIP QoS is important to find an perceptual optimization of playout buffer, and is able to provide effecient way to compute resource consumption in VoIP transport network. This paper shows two models to caharcterize VoIP traffic in transport network, and proposes the novel mechanism to compute an amount of resource consumption. The mechanism evaluates its availability of VoIP call arrived newly in order to sustain a stable VoIP quality level. The applicability of the proposed mechanism in the paper will be stressed in terms of computational efficiency of dynamic real time computation algorithm.
KeywordsLoss Probability Transport Network Packet Loss Ratio Burst Length Characterization Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heyman, D.P., Sobel, M.J.: Stochastic Models in Operations Research, vol. 1, pp. 38–104. McGraw Hill Book Company, New York (1988)Google Scholar
- 2.Chong, I.: Cost Minimization Allocation (CMA) Algorithm, Technical Report, Univ. of Massachusetts (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Chong, I.: Traffic Control at Burst Level, Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of Massachusetts (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Alexander, D.S., Arbaught, W.A., Keromytis, A.D., Muir, S., Smith, J.M.: Secure Quality of Service Handling: SOS. IEEE Communications Magazine (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, B.: Analytical Appoarch in Discrete–Time System. McGraw-Hill, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Trimintzios, P., Pavou, G., et al.: Service-Driven Traffic Engineering for Intradomain Qulaity of Service management. IEEE Network (May/June 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Miller, S.P., Cotner, C.B.: The Quality Challenge Now and For the Future, In: ICDSC (May 1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Tucker, R.C.F.: Accurate Method for Analysis of a Packet Speech Multiplexor with Limited Delay. IEEE Trans. On Communications 36(4) (April 1988)Google Scholar
- 11.Kroner, H.: Statistical Multiplexing of Sporadic Sources - Exact and Approximate Performance Analysis. In: Proceedings of 13th ITC 1991, pp. 723–729 (1991)Google Scholar
- 12.Guerin, R., Ahmadi, H., Naghshineh, M.: Equivalent Capacity and its Application to Bandwidth Allocation in High Speed Networks, IBM Research Report RC16317 (1990)Google Scholar