LBSR: A Load-Balanced Semiminimal Routing Algorithm in Cellular Routers
In the Internet, the exponential growth of user traffic is driving routers to run at increasing bit-rates and have a very large number of ports. Traditional routers consist of line cards and centralized switching fabrics. However, in such a router, the centralized switching fabric is becoming the bottleneck for its limited ports and complicated scheduling algorithms. Interconnection networks, such as 3-D Torus topology, have been applied to routers. They show excellent scalability and fault tolerance. Unfortunately its scalability is limited in practice. In this paper, we propose a novel architecture called Cellular Router (CR) and give a simple discussion of this architecture. We introduce a load-balanced semiminimal routing algorithm (LBSR) for CRs. This algorithm makes use of path diversity and shows high throughput on tornado and random traffic patterns. We also discuss some other aspects of this algorithm, such as dropping ratio, effects of queue length and speedup.
KeywordsDestination Node Queue Length Interconnection Network Edge Node Path Diversity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Clos, C.: A Study of Non-blocking Switching Networks. Bell System Technical Journal 32(2), 406–424 (1953)Google Scholar
- 8.Keslassy, I., Chuang, S.-T., Yu, K., Miller, D., Horowitz, M., Solgaard, O., McKeown, N.: Scaling Internet Routers Using Optics. In: ACM SIGCOMM, Karlsruhe, Germany (August 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Mekkittikul, A., McKeown, N.W.: A Starvation-free Algorithm for Achieving 100% Throughput in an Input-Queued Switch. In: Proc. ICCCN 1996, October 1996, pp. 226–231 (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Scott, S., Thorson, G.: The cray t3e network: adaptive routing in a high performance 3d torus. In: Proceedings of Hot Interconnects Symposium IV (August 1996)Google Scholar
- 14.Dally, W., Carvey, P., Dennison, L.: Architecture of the avici terabit switch/router. In: Proceedings of Hot Interconnects Symposium VI, August 1998, pp. 41–50 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Available at: http://www.avici.com/products/tsr.shtml
- 16.Yue, Z., Zhao, Y., Wu, J., Zhang, X.: Designing Scalable Routers with a New Switching Architecture. In: Joint International Conference, ICAS-ICNS 2005, October 23-28, p. 1 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Sullivan, H., Bashkow, T.R.: A large scale, homogeneous, fully distributed parallel machine. In: Proc. of the International Symposium on Computer Architecture, pp. 105–117 (1977)Google Scholar