Impact of Burst Control Packet Congestion on Burst Loss Rate in Optical Burst Switched Networks
In the Optical Burst Switching (OBS) research area, the burst control packet (BCP) queuing delay problem has not been addressed because it is believed to be quite small. However, with a realistic OBS simulator, we have investigated this issue and clarified its impact on performance degradation from the point-of-view of data burst loss rate. We know that the BCP load to the control channel is not negligible. Thus, the burst loss rate due to the queueing delay of BCP on the control channel is very serious compared to the existing well-known burst contention. We propose a Dynamic Offset-Time Update scheme to avoid serious data burst loss due to BCP queueing delay, and a Priority BCP queue to guarantee the minimum offset-time for high class bursts. Our simulation results show that the Dynamic Offset-Time Update scheme can completely avoid data burst loss due to BCP congestion while guaranteeing a certain level of minimum offset-time.
KeywordsControl Channel Data Channel Early Arrival Core Node Data Burst
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Qiao, C., Yoo, M.: Optical Burst switching (OBS) - a new paradigm for an optical Internet. Journal of High Speed Networks 8(1), 68–84 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, Y., et al.: Optical burst switching: a new area in optical networking research. IEEE Network, 16–23 (May/June 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.White, J., Tucker, R., Long, K.: Merit-base Scheduling Algorithm for Optical Burst Switching. In: COIN 2002 (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, J., Yun, H., Choi, J., Kang, M.: A Novel Buffer Scheduling Algorithm for Burst Control Packet in Optical Burst Switching WDM Networks. In: APOC (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Kim, J., Choi, J., Kang, M.:Offset-Time Based Scheduling Algorhthm for Burst Control Packet in Optical Burst Switched Networks. LNCS, vol. 3098. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, Z., Duan, Z., Hou, Y.T.: Fundamental trade-offs in aggregate packet scheduling. In: Proceedings of ICNP 2001 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Charny, A., Le Boudec, J.Y.: Delay bounds in a network with aggregate scheduling. In: Proceedings of QOFIS (October 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Morato, D., Aracil, J., Diez, L.A., Izal, M., Magana, E.: On linear prediction of internet traffic for packet and burst switching networks. In: Proceedings of ICCCN, pp. 138–143 (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Hwang, I.-Y., et al.: OIRC OBS-ns simulator supported by OIRC and Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) (2006)Google Scholar