A Grid-Based Manycast Scheme for Large Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
Services providing between clients and servers is an important issue in mobile ad hoc networks. Since services become complex and various increasingly, current group communication mechanisms like multicast or anycast do not completely support some kind of services such as NTP (Network Time Protocol) or threshold cryptography, etc. Manycast is a novel group communication paradigm in which a client communicates simultaneously with a number k of m equivalent servers in a group and can support these kinds of services. In this paper, we present a grid-based manycast scheme that employs manycast level calculation algorithm to predict a manycast region and uses an efficient grid broadcast method to support manycast delivery for large ad hoc networks. Simulation results show that our scheme not only reduces significantly more manycast overhead and the average number of replied servers but also keeps high manycast successful rate.
KeywordsNode Mobility Dynamic Source Route Request Packet Reply Probability Network Time Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carter, C., Yi, S., Ratanchandani, P., Kravets, R.: Manycast: Exploring the Space Between Anycast and Multicast in Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 273–285 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Network Time Protocol (NTP) Version 4, http://www.ntp.org
- 3.Wu, T., Malkin, M., Boneh, D.: Building Intrusion Tolerant Applications. In: Proceedings of the 8th USENIX Security Symposium, pp. 79–91 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Yi, S., Kravets, R.: MOCA: Mobile Certificate Authority for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In: The 2nd Annual PKI Research Workshop Program (PKI 2003) (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Carter, C., Yi, S., Kravets, R.: ARP Considered Harmful: Manycast Transactions in Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, pp. 1801–1806 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Finn, G.G.: Routing and Addressing Problems in Large Metropolitan-Scale Internetworks, ISI Research Report ISI/RR-87-180 (1987)Google Scholar