Synchronizing TCP with Block Acknowledgement over Multi-hop Wireless Networks
While TCP is highly successful in the wire-line Internet, its performance fast degrades as the number of hops increases in multihop wireless networks. It is due to not only the half-duplex nature of the wireless medium, but also the two-way feature of TCP. In order to improve TCP performance in multihop wireless networks, we pay attention to its cumulative ACK policy. Systematically exploiting the redundant nature of the ACK policy, we replace some ACKs with data packets. We call this scheme block acknowledgement. In consequence, the throughput is significantly increased at the slight weakening of ACK reliability. We evaluate the performance of TCP with and without the block acknowledgement through simulations and analysis.
KeywordsBlock Size Data Packet Interference Range Multihop Wireless Network Window Limit
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fu, Z., Zerfos, P., Luo, H., Lu, S., Zhang, L., Gerla, M.: The Impact of Multihop Wireless Channel on TCP Throughput and Loss. INFOCOM (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Braden, R.: Requirements for Internet Hosts - Communication Layers, RFC 1122 (October 1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Kherani, A., Shorey, R.: Performance Improvement of TCP with Delayed ACKs in IEEE 802.11 Wireless LANs, WCNC (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Xu, S., Saadawi, T.: Performance evaluation of TCP algorithms in multi-hop wireless packet networks, Wireless communications and mobile computing (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Allman, M., Floyd, S., Partridge, C.: Increasing TCP’s Initial Window, RFC 2414 (September 1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Balakrishnan, H., Padmanabhan, V., Katz, R.: The Effects of Asymmetry on TCP Performance, ACM Mobicom (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Altman, E., Jimenez, T.:Novel delayed ACK techniques for improving TCP perfomance in multihop wireless networks, PWC (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Aggarwal, A.: Understanding the performance of TCP pacing. INFOCOM (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Mathis, M., Mahdavi, J., Floyd, S., Romanow, A.: TCP Selective Acknowledgment Options, RFC 2018 (October 1996)Google Scholar
- 10.The UCB/LBNL/VINT Network Simulator (NS), Available at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 11.Chen, K., Xue, Y., Shah, S., Nahrstedt, K.: Understanding Bandwidth-Delay Product in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Computer Communication (2004)Google Scholar