Service Oriented Networks – Dynamic Distributed QoS Routing Framework
Routing algorithms have been using a single metric such as hop count in route calculation. The selected route is optimal only in the context of the metric used. In order to support diverse service requirements from users, there is a growing need where multiple metrics need to be taken into account in routing, especially in ad-hoc routing. This paper addresses ad-hoc routing with multiple metrics. We present a new framework called service oriented network in which users can specify routing metrics and the metrics are used in route calculation. Our approach is implemented in Linux kernel and the compared with AODV. Simulation study shows that using our framework, we can improve the network lifetime by 200%.
KeywordsNetwork Lifetime Combination Rule Dynamic Source Route Multiple Metrics RREQ Packet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C., Belding-Royer, E., Das, S.: AODV RFC 3561, Internet Engineering Task Force(IETF) (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.David, A., Maltz David, B., Johnson, Hu, Y.-C.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol, experimental edition (July 2004), http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-dsr-10.txt
- 3.Singh, S., Woo, M., Raghavendra, C.: Power-aware routing in mobile ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking(Mobicom 1998), October 1998, pp. 181–190 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Toh, C., Cobb, H., Scott, D.: Performance evaluation of battery-life-aware routing schemes for wireless ad hoc networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 2001) (June 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Sanzgiri, K., Dahill, B., Levine, B.N., Shields, C., Belding-Royer, E.: A Secure Routing Protocol for Ad hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2002) (November 2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, S., Nahrstedt, K.: An Overview of Quality-of-Service Routing for the Next Generation HighSpeed Networks: Problems and Solutions. IEEE Network, Special Issue on Transmission and Distribution of Digital Video 12(6), 64–79 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Wetherall, D.J., Guttag, J., Tennenhouse, D.L.: ANTS: Network Services Without the Red Tape. IEEE Computer 3(4), 42–48 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Jones, C.E., Kulkarni, K.M.A.B., Minden, G.J., Hill, R., Wijata, Y., Gopinath, A., Sheth, S., Wahhab, F., Pindi, H., Nagarajan, A.: Implementation of a Prototype Active Network. In: Proceedings of the 1st IEEE Conference on Open Architectures and Network Programming (OPENARCH 1998) (April 1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Narain, S., Cheng, T., Coan, B., Kau, V., Parmeswaran, K., Stephens, W.: Building Autonomic Systems Via Configuration. In: Proceedings of 5th IEEE Annual International Workshop on Active Middleware Services (AMS 2003), June 2003, p. 77 (2003)Google Scholar