A Distributed Mechanism for Trust Propagation and Consolidation in Ad Hoc Networks
Trust is a person’s knowledge of and confidence in another’s behavior and reputation. This concept can be applied to ad hoc networks, whose entities interact based on some kinds of relationships of trust in each other. This paper presents a trust model for ad hoc networks, using a specific metric to establish and associate the consolidated trust rating to their entities. A distributed mechanism is defined to propagate and consolidate these trust ratings, enabling the entities of an ad hoc network to decide whether or not to trust other entities with which they intend to interact.
KeywordsTrust Rating Trust Propagation Trust Relationship Certification Authority Trust Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dempster, A.P.: Upper and Lower probabilities induced by a multivalued mapping. Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 325–339 (1967)Google Scholar
- 2.English, C., Terzis, S., Nixon, P.: Towards Self-Protecting Ubiquitous Systems: Monitoring Trust-based Interactions. In: System Support for Ubiquitous Computing Workshop (UbiComp), Nottingham, England (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Fernandes, A., et al.: Pinocchio: Incentives for honest participation in distributed trust management. In: Second Conference on Trust Management. Proceedings, UK (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Jøsang, A.E.G., Kinateder, M.: Analysing Topologies of Transitive Trust. In: Workshop of Formal Aspects of Security and Trust (FAST). Proceedings, Pisa, Italy (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Martucci, L.A., Schweitzer, C.M., Venturini, Y.R., Carvalho, T.C.M.B., Ruggiero, W.V.: A Trust-Based Security Architecture for Small and Medium Sized Ad Hoc Networks. In: The Annual Mediterranean Ad Hoc Networking Workshop, Turkey (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Schweitzer, C.M.: Mecanismo de Consolidação de Confiança Distribuída para Redes Ad Hoc. Doctoral Dissertation, Universidade de São Paulo (USP), São Paulo, Brazil (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Smets, P.: What is Dempster-Shafer’s model?, Université Libre de Bruxelles (1990)Google Scholar