A Reliable Multicast Routing Scheme in Mobile IP Networks
The various multicast routing methods that have been proposed so far are classified into the two classes: HA (Home Agent) based multicast routing and FA (Foreign Agent) based multicast routing. However HA based multicast routing has problems of a non-optimal route. FA based multicast routing also has the problem in that it requires the frequent reconstruction of the multicast tree. In this paper, we propose the hybrid scheme for the reliable multicast routing. It is based on FA based hierarchical multicast routing method, in which the network is managed hierarchically to reduce the frequency of reconstruction of the multicast tree while guaranteeing the optimal route. Additionally, the proposed method tries to speedup the handoff by using the Mobile IPv4 Low latency handoff method by executing the L3 handoff before the L2 handoff is completed. And the adaptive buffering mechanism is adopted in a gateway or nFA (New Foreign Agent) to solve the multicast data loss.
KeywordsPacket Loss Mobile Host Home Agent Optimal Route Multicast Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C.: IP Mobility Support, RFC 2002, Mobile IP Networking Group (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Perkins, C.: Mobile IP Design Principles and Practices. Addison-Wesley, ReadingGoogle Scholar
- 3.Xylonmenos, G., Polyzos, G.: IP multicast for mobile hosts. IEEE Communications Magazine, 54–58 (January 1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Chikarmane, V., Williamson, C.L.: Multicast support for mobile host using mobile IP: design issues and proposed architecture. Mobile Networks and Applications, 365–379 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Harrison, T., Williamson, C., Mackrell, W., Bunt, R.: Mobile multicast (MOM) protocol: multicast support for mobile hosts. In: Proc. Of ACM MOBICOM 1997, pp. 151–160 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Suh, Y.-J., Shin, H.-S., Kwon, D.-H.: Multicast Routing protocol by Multicast Agent in Mobile Networks Proc. (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Malki, K.: Low latency Handoffs in Mobile IPv, draft-ietf-mobileip-lowlatency-handoffs-v4-09.txtGoogle Scholar