A DAG Comparison Algorithm and Its Application to Temporal Data Warehousing
We present a new technique for discovering and representing structural changes between two versions of a directed acyclic graph (DAG). Motivated by the necessity of change detection in temporal data warehouses and inspired by a well known tree comparison algorithm, we developed a heuristic method to calculate an edit script transforming an old version of a graph to the new one. This edit script is composed of operations for inserting and deleting nodes and changing labels and values of nodes as well as for inserting and deleting edges to cover rearrangements of nodes (moves). We present the prerequisites of our approach, the different phases of the algorithm and discuss some evaluation results gained from a prototypic implementation. Our approach is applicable to arbitrary labeled DAGs in any context, but optimized for rooted, ordered and labeled acyclic digraphs with a small rate of changes between the DAGs to be compared.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Eder, J., Koncilia, C., Mitsche, D.: Automatic Detection of Structural Changes in Data Warehouses. In: Proc. of the 5th DaWaK (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Eder, J., Koncilia, C., Wiggisser, K.: Maintaining temporal warehouse models. In: Proc. of the IFIP Int’l Conf. on Research and Practical Issues of Enterprise Information Systems (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, K., Wang, J., Sasha, D.: On the editing distance between undirected acyclic graphs. Int’l Journal of Foundations of Computer Science 7(13) (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Messmer, B., Bunke, H.: A new algorithm for error-tolerant subgraph isomorphism detection. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 20, 493–505 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Shoubridge, P., Kraetzl, M., Ray, D.: Detection of abnormal change in dynamic networks. In: Proc. of Information Decision and Control, pp. 557–562. IEEE Inc., Los Alamitos (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Cordella, L., et al.: Perfomance evaluation of the vf graph matching algorithm. In: Proc. of the 10th Int’l Conf. on Image Analysis and Processing, pp. 1172–1177 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Hlaoui, A., Wang, S.: A new algorithm for inexact graph matching. In: Proc. of the 16th Int’l Conf. on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2002), vol. 4 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Gori, M., Maggini, M., Sarti, L.: Exact and approximate graph matching using random walks. IEEE Trans. on PAMI 27(7), 1100–1111 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Chawathe, S., Rajaraman, A., Garcia-Molina, H., Widom, J.: Change detection in Hierarchically Structured Information. In: Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD (1996)Google Scholar
- 14.Chawathe, S., Garcia-Molina, H.: Meaningful change detection in structured data. In: Proceedings of the 1997 ACM SIGMOD, pp. 26–37 (1997)Google Scholar