Rough-Set Multiple-Criteria ABC Analysis
Multiple-criteria ABC (MCABC) analysis is conducted using a dominance-based rough set approach. ABC analysis, a well-known technique for inventory planning and control, divides stock-keeping units (SKUs) into three classes according to annual dollar usage. But MCABC analysis offers more managerial flexibility by including other criteria, such as lead time and criticality, in the classification of SKUs. The objective of this paper is to propose an MCABC method that uses the dominance-based rough set approach to generate linguistic rules that represent a decision-maker’s preferences based on the classification of a test data set. These linguistic rules are then used to classify all SKUs. A case study demonstrates that the procedure is feasible.
KeywordsLead Time Analytic Hierarchical Process Linguistic Rule Management Attention Multiple Criterion Decision Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, Y., Li, K.W., Kilgour, D.M., Hipel, K.W.: A Case-based distance model for multiple criteria ABC analysis. Computers and Operations Research (in press, 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Cohen, M.A., Ernst, R.: Multi-item classification and generic inventory stock control policies. Production and Inventory Management Journal 29, 6–8 (1988)Google Scholar
- 10.Institute of Computing Sceience, Poznan University of Technology, Poland, 4eMka2 software, http://idss.cs.put.poznan.pl/site/4emka.html (accessed on March 18, 2006)
- 11.Keeney, R.L., Raiffa, H.: Decision with multiple objectives: preferences and value tradeoffs. Wiley, New York (1976)Google Scholar
- 12.Pareto, V.: Mannual of Political Economy (English translation). A.M. Kelley Publishers, New York (1971)Google Scholar
- 14.Partovi, F.Y., Hopton, W.E.: The analytic hierarchy process as applied to two types of inventory problems. Production and Inventory Management Journal 35, 13–19 (1994)Google Scholar
- 18.Silver, E.A., Pyke, D.F., Peterson, R.: Inventory management and production planning and scheduling, 3rd edn. Wiley, New York (1998)Google Scholar