An Application of Intelligent PSO Algorithm to Adaptive Compensation for Polarization Mode Dispersion in Optical Fiber Communication Systems
In high bit rate optical fiber communication systems, Polarization mode dispersion (PMD) is one of the main factors to signal distortion and needs to be compensated. Because PMD possesses the time-varying and statistical properties, to establish an effective control algorithm for adaptive or automatic PMD compensation is a challenging task. Widely used control algorithms are the gradient-based peak search methods, whose main drawbacks are easy being locked into local sub-optima for compensation and no ability to resist noise. In this paper, we introduce a new evolutionary approach, particle swarm optimization (PSO), into automatic PMD compensation as feedback control algorithm. The experiment results showed that PSO-based control algorithm had unique features of rapid convergence to the global optimum without being trapped in local sub-optima and good robustness to noise in the transmission line that had never been achieved in PMD compensation before.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Polarization Controller Polarization Mode Dispersion Fiber Link
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Noé, R., Sandel, D., Yoshida-Dierolf, M., Hinz, S., Mirvoda, V., Schöpflin, A., Glingener, C., Gottwald, E., Scheerer, C., Fischer, G., Weyrauch, T., Haase, W.: Polarization Mode Dispersion Compensation at 10, 20, and 40Gb/s with Various Optical Equaliziers. J. Lightwave Technol. 17, 1602–1616 (1999)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Rasmussen, J.C.: Automatic PMD and Chromatic Dispersion Compensation in High Capacity Transmission. In: 2003 Digest of the LEOS Summer Topical Meetings, pp. 47–48 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Paticle Swarm Optimization. In: Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Piscataway, NJ, USA, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Laskari, E.C., Parsopoulos, K.E., Vrahatis, M.N.: Particle Swarm Optimization for Minimax Problems. In: Proc. of the 2002 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 2, pp. 1576–1581 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Kennedy, J., Mendes, R.: Population Structure and Particle Swarm Performance. In: Proc. of the 2002 Congress on Evolutionary Computation., vol. 2, pp. 1671–1676 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Eberhart, R.C., Kennedy, J.: A New Optimizer Using Particle Swarm Theory. In: Proc. of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science, pp. 39–43 (1995)Google Scholar