Learning Bayesian Networks Structures Based on Memory Binary Particle Swarm Optimization
This paper describes a new data mining algorithm to learn Bayesian networks structures based on memory binary particle swarm optimization method and the Minimum Description Length (MDL) principle. An memory binary particle swarm optimization (MBPSO) is proposed. A memory influence is added to a binary particle swarm optimization. The purpose of the added memory feature is to prevent and overcome premature convergence by providing particle specific alternate target points to be used at times instead of the best current position of the particle. In addition, our algorithm, like some previous work, does not need to have a complete variable ordering as input. The experimental results illustrate that our algorithm not only improves the quality of the solutions, but also reduces the time cost.
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Bayesian Network Premature Convergence Binary Particle Swarm Optimization Bayesian Network Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Suzuki, J.: A construction of Bayesian networks from databases based on a MDL scheme. In: Proceedings of the 9th Conference of Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, pp. 266–273. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Xiang, Y., Wong, S.K.M.: Learning conditional independence relations from a probabilistic model, Department of Computer Science, University of Regina, CA, Tech Rep: CS-94-03 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Lam, W., Bacchus, F.: Learning Bayesian belief networks: An algorithm based on the MDL principle. Computational Intelligence, 10 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Shi, Y., Eberhart, R.C.: A modified particle swarm optimizer. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference of Evolutionary Computation, Anchorage, Alaska, May 1998, pp. 69–73 (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.: A discrete binary version of the particle swarm optimization algorithm. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 4104–4109 (1997)Google Scholar