Optimal Designing of EDFA Gain Flattening Long Period Fiber Grating by Intelligent Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm
An innovative long-period fiber grating (LPG) used for erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA) gain flattening synthesized by the particle swarm optimization (PSO) algorithm is demonstrated. In our problem, we used the topological neighborhood local PSO algorithm to improve the performance, in addition, we used the damp boundary conditions to avoid the particles escaping out of the solve space. The simulated results are in good coincidence with design targets, and proved the capability and effectiveness of the algorithm. In addition, this algorithm is general and can be used for other similar synthesis problems of fiber Bragg gratings (FBGs).
KeywordsParticle Swarm Optimization Fiber Bragg Grating Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm Fiber Grating Improve Particle Swarm Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dong, P., Azna, J., Kirk, A.G.: Synthesis of fiber Bragg grating parameters from reflectivity by means of a simulated annealing algorithm. Optics Communications (228), 303–308 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Skaar, J., Wang, L., Erdogan, E.: On the synthesis of fiber Bragg gratings by layer peeling 37, 165–173 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Peral, E., Capmany, J., Marti, J.: Iterative solution to the Gel’Fand-Levitan-Marchenko coupled equations and application to the synthesis of fiber gratings. IEEE J.Quantum Electon. 32, 1526–1528 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Parsopoulos, K.E., Vrahatis, M.N.: Particle swarm optimizer in noisy and continuously changing environments. Artifical Intelligence and Soft Computing, pp. 289–294. IASTED/ACTA Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proc. Of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Piscataway, NJ, USA, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: Particle swarm optimization. In: Proc. Of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Piscataway, NJ, USA, pp. 1942–1948 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Pandit, M.K., et al.: Tunable long-period fiber gratings for EDFA gain and ASE equalization. Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett. 25 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Huang, T., Mohan, A.S.: A hybrid boundary condition for robust particle swarm optimization. IEEE antennas and wireless propagation letters 4 (2005)Google Scholar