Joint Source-Channel Coding Based on Adaptive Wavelet Pretreatment for Image Transmission over Frequency Selective Fading Channel
A joint source-channel coding (JSCC) scheme based on adaptive wavelet pretreatment for robust progressive image transmission over wireless fading channels using MIMO-OFDM was proposed. We pointed out that he peak signal to noise ratio (PSNR) of the reconstructed image degrades a little while the complexity decreases sharply when adding pretreatment block before DWT. On the other hand, OFDM can get good performance in the frequency selective fading channel. So in this paper, a JSCC scheme based on adaptive wavelet pretreatment for image transmission over MIMO-OFDM system was analyzed. What‘s more, the wavelet pretreatment block is loaded adaptively according to the channel condition. Simulation shows that: after adding the pretreatment block before DWT and post-treatment to the reconstructed image in good channel condition, the complexity of the SPIHT and the channel coder decreases sharply due to the compression ratio, but the PSNR of the receivedimage loses only a little; when the channel condition is getting worse ,the pretreatment block is deleted accordingly.
KeywordsCompression Ratio Channel Condition OFDM System Unequal Error Protection Frequency Selective Fading Channel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Sherwood, P.G., Zeger, K.: Progressive image coding for noisy channels. IEEE Signal Processing Lett. 7, 188–191 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Alatan, A.A., Zhao, M., Akansu, A.N.: Unequal Error Protection of SPIHT Encoded Image Bit Streams. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 18(6) (June 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, X., Zhao, L.: A wavelet transform image coding technique with tree character palne (in Chinese). Journal of China Institute of Communications 20(11), 19–24 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Yao, W., Guang-Xi, Z., Wei, L.: Image Coding Scheme Combined with Wavelet Pretrement (in Chinese). Chinese Journal of Computers 26(2) (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Song, J., Liu, K.J.R.: Robust Progressive Image Transmission Over OFDM Systems Using Space-Time Block Code. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 4(3) (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Chande, V., Farvardin, N.: Joint source-channel coding for progressive transmission of embedded source coders. In: Proc. Data Compression Conf., pp. 52–61 (1999)Google Scholar