Heuristic Approach to Schedule Crew for a Regional Airline
Crew scheduling is a crux of running a regional airline. The regional airline is characterized as a crew dependant airline due to the fact that the flight operation of the airline is rather strictly constrained by crew availability and qualifications. Furthermore, the airline must accommodate frequent changes in flight crew requirements due to seasonal or monthly flight demand fluctuation. In this paper, a heuristic approach is proposed to schedule the airline’s crew members. Additionally, an integer linear programming formulation is suggested to verify the feasibility of the heuristic approach. Evaluation purposes, the crew schedules of the operation of the regional airline were generated to check the computational advantages of the approach. The proposed heuristic approach finds a good crew schedule with computational efficiency for the airline.
KeywordsCrew Member Integer Programming Model Heuristic Model Crew Schedule Integer Linear Programming Formulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Gamache, M., Soumis, F.: A method for optimally solving the rostering problem. Cahier GERAD, G-90-40, Ecole des Hautes Etutes Commerciales, Montreal, Canada, H3T 1V6 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Guo, Y., Mellouli, T., Suhl, L., Thiel, M.P.: A partially integrated airline crew scheduling with time-dependant crew capacities and multiple home bases. European Journal of Operational Research (article in press, 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Ryan, D.M.: The solution of massive generalized set partitioning problems in aircrew rostering. Operations Research Society 43, 459–467 (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Yan, S., Lin, C.I.: Optimization of airline crew pairing. Journal of Chinese Institute of Civil and Hydraulic Engineering 9, 303–313 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Regional Airlines (2005), www.jejuair.net