Throughput Analysis of UDP and VPN Traffic in 802.11g Networks
In this study the effects of using VPNs on the throughput of wireless LANs are investigated. To this end we have set up a test bed and based our observations on the actual measurements obtained from the experiments performed using this test bed. The wireless LAN we have used is an IEEE 802.11g network and we compared the throughput values obtained by employing IPSec in this network with the calculated ones. We performed the tests using periodically generated traffic with 1ms and 5 ms intervals between successive packets. We have also considered the case for random traffic generated according to exponential distribution. We present the variations of the throughput with respect to packet size for different input traffic patterns.
KeywordsWireless Network Access Point Packet Size Virtual Private Network Throughput Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ferre, P., Doufexi, A., Nix, A., Bull, D.: Throughput Analysis of IEEE 802.11 and IEEE 802.11 e MAC. In: Wireless Communications and Networking, WCNC 2004, vol. 2, pp. 783–788 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Garg, S., Kappes, M.: An experimental study of throughput for UDP and VoIP traffic in IEEE 802.11b networks. Wireless Communications and Networking, WCNC 2003, vol. 3, pp. 1748–1753 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Wijesinha, A.L., Yeong-tae Song Krishnan, M., Mathur, V., Ahn, J., Shyamasundar, V.: Throughput measurement for UDP traffic in an IEEE 802.11g WLAN. In: Sixth International Conference onSoftware Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing, 2005 and First ACIS International Workshop on Self-Assembling Wireless Networks. SNPD/SAWN 2005, pp. 220–225 (2005) Google Scholar
- 4.Jun, J., Peddabachagari, P., Sichitiu, M.: Theoretical maximum throughput of IEEE 802.11 and its applications. In: Second IEEE International Symposium onNetwork Computing and Applications, NCA 2003, pp. 249–256 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, S.-C., Chen, Y.-M., Lee, T.-H., Helmy, A.: Performance evaluations for hybrid IEEE 802.11b and 802.11g wireless networks. In: 24th IEEE International Performance, Computing, and Communications Conference, IPCCC 2005, pp. 111–118 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Xiao, Y., Rosdahl, J.: Throughput and delay limits of IEEE 802.11. IEEE Communications Letters 6(8), 5–357 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Munasinghe, K.S., Shahrestani, S.A.: Wireless VPNs: an evaluation of QoS metrics and measures. In: International Conference on Mobile Business, ICMB 2005, pp. 616–622 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Allen, J., Wilson, J.: Securing a wireless network. In: Proceedings of the 30th Annual ACM SIGUCCS Conference on User Services, November 2002, pp. 213–215 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Fazal, L., Ganu, S., Kappes, M., Krishnakumar, A.S., Krishnan, P.: Tackling security vulnerabilities in VPN-based wireless deployments. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, June 2004, vol. 1, pp. 100–104 (2004)Google Scholar