A Model of a Packet Aggregation System
The decision and ability to aggregate packets can have significant impact on the performance of a communication system. The impact can be even more substantial when the system operates under a heavy load. In this paper, we present a queuing model which describes a packet encapsulation and aggregation process. Using this model, we provide analysis of the end-to-end delay of a packet transmitted by the system. The analytical model is verified by a simulation model of the system. We calculate the maximum number of packets in a single frame for which packet aggregation minimizes the average total delay of a packet. It is numerically shown that when the load is high, the higher the variability of the packet service time, the higher the maximum allowed number of packets in the frame should be to achieve the minimum average total packet delay. However, the impact of the variability of the packet service time is insignificant when the system load is moderate or low.
KeywordsService Time Markov Chain Model Probability Generate Function Laplace Stieltjes Transform Markov Modulate Poisson Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akar, N., Oguz, N.C., Sohraby, K.: A Novel Computational Method for Solving Finite QBD Processes. Communications in Statistics, Stochastic Models 16.2 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Akar, N., Oguz, N.C., Sohraby, K.: Matrix-Geometric Solution in Finite and Infinite M/G/1 Type Markov Chains: A Unifying Generalized State-Space Approach. IEEE J. on Selected Areas in Communications 16(5) (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Akar, N., Sohraby, K.: An Invariant Subspace Approach in M/G/1 and G/M/1 Type Markov Chains. Communications in Statistics, Stochastic Models 13(3) (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Bailey, N.T.J.: On queuing process with bulk service. J. of Royal Statistical Association 16 Series B, 80–87 (1954)Google Scholar
- 6.Chaudhry, M.L., Medhi, J., Sim, S.H., Templeton, J.G.C.: On a two hetrogeneous-server Markovian queue with general bulk service rule. Sankhyā 49 Series B, pp. 35–50 (1987)Google Scholar
- 7.Flanagan, W.A.: Voice over Frame Relay. Telecom Books, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Medhi, J.: Recent Developments in Bulk Queueing Models. Wiley Eastern, New Delhi (1984)Google Scholar
- 10.Medhi, J.: Stochastic Models in Queueuing Theory, 2nd edn. Academic Press, London (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Neuts, M.F.: Matrix-Geometric Solutions to Stochastic Models-An Algorithmic Approach. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore (1981)Google Scholar