Prediction of Protein Secondary Structure Using Nonlinear Method
This paper presents the use of neural networks for the prediction of protein Secondary Structure. We propose a pre-processing stage based on the method of Cascaded Nonlinear Components Analysis (C-NLPCA), in order to get a dimensional reduction of the data which may consider its nonlinearity. Then, the reduced data are placed in predictor networks and its results are combined. For the verification of possible improvements brought by the use of C-NLPCA, a set of tests was done and the results will be demonstrated in this paper. The C-NLPCA revealed to be efficient, propelling a new field of research.
KeywordsNeural Network Secondary Structure Dimensional Reduction Protein Secondary Structure Reduction Stage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Altchul, S., Madden, T., Shaffer, A., Zhang, J., Zhang, Z., Miller, W., Lipman, D.: Gapped blast and psi-blast: A new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Research (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Botelho, S.S.C., Bem, R.A., Almeida, I.L., Mata, M.M.: C-nlpca: Extracting non-linear principal components of image datasets. Simpsio Brasileiro de Sensoriamento Remoto (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Guimaraes, K.S., Melo, J.C.B., Cavalcanti, G.D.C.: Combining few neural networks for effective secondary structure prediction. In: Proceedings of the Third IEEE Symposion on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering, pp. 415–420 (2003a)Google Scholar
- 5.Guimaraes, K.S., Melo, J.C.B., Cavalcanti, G.D.C.: Pca feature extraction for protein structure prediction. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, pp. 2952–2957 (2003b)Google Scholar
- 7.Khattree, R., Naik, D.N.: Multivariate data reduction and discrimination with SAS software. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Lehninger, A.L.: Principles of biochemist. Editora Sarvier, So Paulo (1984)Google Scholar
- 11.University of Dundee and The Barton Group. Cb396, July 20 (2005) http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk/
- 12.Qian, N., Setnowski, T.J.: Predicting the Secondary Structure of Globular Proteins Using Neural Network Models. Baltimore (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Riedmiller, M., Braun, H.: A direct adaptive method for faster backpropagation learning: The rprop algorithm. In: Proceedings of the International Conference of Neural Networks, pp. 586–591 (1993)Google Scholar
- 16.Roweis, S.: Algorithms for PCA and SPCA, in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems. In: Jordan, M.I., Kearns, M.J., Solla, S.A. (eds.) (1998)Google Scholar