Neural Network Implementation in Hardware Using FPGAs
The usage of the FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) for neural network implementation provides flexibility in programmable systems. For the neural network based instrument prototype in real time application, conventional specific VLSI neural chip design suffers the limitation in time and cost. With low precision artificial neural network design, FPGAs have higher speed and smaller size for real time application than the VLSI design. In addition, artificial neural network based on FPGAs has fairly achieved with classification application. The programmability of reconfigurable FPGAs yields the availability of fast special purpose hardware for wide applications. Its programmability could set the conditions to explore new neural network algorithms and problems of a scale that would not be feasible with conventional processor. The goal of this work is to realize the hardware implementation of neural network using FPGAs. Digital system architecture is presented using Very High Speed Integrated Circuits Hardware Description Language (VHDL) and is implemented in FPGA chip. The design was tested on a FPGA demo board.
KeywordsField Programmable Gate Array Real Time Application Hardware Implementation Logic Block Float Point Arithmetic
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Poliac, M., Zanetti, J., Salerno, D.: Performance Mesuraments of Seismocardiogram Interpretation Using Neural Networks. In: Computer in Cardiology, pp. 573–576. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Zhu, J., Gunther, B.K.: Towards an FPGA Based Reconfigurable Computing Environment for Neural Network Implementations. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN 1999). IEE Conference Proceedings 470, pp. 661–667 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Savran, A., ÜNsal, S.: Hardware Implementation of a Feed forward Neural Network Using FPGAs. In: The third International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ELECO 2003), Bursa, Turkey, December 3-7 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Blake, J.J., Maguire, L.P., Mcginnity, T.M., Roche, B., Mcdaid, L.J.: The Implementation of Fuzzy Systems. Neural Networks using FPGAs, Information Sciences 112, 151–168 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Krips, M., Lammert, T., Kummert, A.: FPGA Implementation of a Neural Network for a Real-Time Hand Tracking System. In: Proceedings of first IEEE Internaional Workshop on Electronic Design, Test and Applications (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Yu, X., Deni, D.: Implementing Neural Network In FPGAs, The Institution of Electrical Engineers, IEE published, Savoy Place, London (1994)Google Scholar