Adaptive Parameters Determination Method of Pulse Coupled Neural Network Based on Water Valley Area
Pulse coupled neural network (PCNN) is different from traditional artificial neural networks, models of which have biological background and are based on the experimental observations of synchronous pulse bursts in the cat visual cortex. However, it is very difficult to determine the exact relationship between the parameters of PCNN model. Focusing on the famous difficult problem of PCNN, how to determine the optimum parameters automatically, this paper proposes the definition of water valley area, establishes a modified PCNN, and puts forward an adaptive PCNN parameters determination algorithm based on water valley area. Extensive experimental results on image processing demonstrate its validity and robustness.
KeywordsImage Segmentation Synthetic Aperture Radar Iteration Time Pulse Couple Neural Network Segmented Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Ma, Y.D., Dai, R.L., Li, L.: Automated image segmentation using pulse coupled neural networks and image’s entropy. Journal of China Institute of Communications 23, 46–51 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Liu, Q., Ma, Y.D., Qian, Z.B.: Automated image segmentation using improved PCNN model based on cross-entropy. Journal of Image and Graphics 10, 579–584 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Gu, X.D., Guo, S. D., Yu, D.H.: A new approach for automated image segmentation based on unit-linking PCNN. In: Proceedings of the first International Conference on Machine learning and Cybernetics, Beijing, China, pp. 175–178 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Bi, Y.W., Qiu, T.S.: An adaptive image segmentation method based on a simplified PCNN. Acta Electronica Sinica 33, 647–650 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Aboul, E.H., Jafar, M.A.: Digital Mammogram Segmentation Algorithm Using Pulse Coupled Neural Networks. In: Proceedings of the 3th International Conference on Image and Graphics, Hong Kong, China, pp. 92–95 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Ma, Y.D., Shi, F., Li, L.: Gaussian noise filter based on PCNN. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Neural Networks & Signal Processing, Nanjing, China, pp. 149–151 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Johnson, J.L., Taylor, J.R., Anderson, M.: Pulse coupled neural network shadow compensation. In: SPIE Conference on Applications and Science of Computational Intelligence, Orlando, Florida, pp. 452–456 (1999)Google Scholar