Driven Forward Features Selection: A Comparative Study on Neural Networks
In the field of neural networks, feature selection has been studied for the last ten years and classical as well as original methods have been employed. This paper reviews the efficiency of four approaches to do a driven forward features selection on neural networks . We assess the efficiency of these methods compare to the simple Pearson criterion in case of a regression problem.
KeywordsNeural Network Feature Selection Variable Selection Feature Selection Method Regression Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.JMLR (ed.): Special Issue on Variable and Feature Selection. Journal of Machine Learning Research 3(Mar) (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Guyon, I.: To appear - Feature extraction, foundations and applications (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Kohavi, R., John, G.: Wrappers for feature subset selection. Artificial Intelligence 97(1-2) (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Thomson, M.L.: Selection of variables in multiple regression part i: A review and evaluation and part ii: Chosen procedures, computations and examples. International Statistical Review 46, 1–19, 129–146 (1978)Google Scholar
- 7.Leray, P., Gallinari, P.: Feature selection with neural networks. Technical report, LIP6 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Lemaire, V., Clérot, C.: An input variable importance definition based on empirical data probability and its use in variable selection. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks IJCNN (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Breiman, L.: Random forest. Machine Learning 45 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Yacoub, M., Bennani, Y.: Hvs: A heuristic for variable selection in multilayer artificial neural network classifier. In: ANNIE, pp. 527–532 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.Moody, J.: Prediction Risk and Architecture Selection for Neural Networks. From Statistics to Neural Networks-Theory and Pattern Recognition. Springer (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Ruck, D.W., Rogers, S.K., Kabrisky, M.: Feature selection using a multilayer perceptron. J. Neural Network Comput. 2(2), 40–48 (1990)Google Scholar
- 16.Refenes, A., Zapranis, A., Utans, J.: Neural model identification, variable selection and model adequacy. In: Neural Networks in Financial Engineering, Proceedings of NnCM 1996 (1996)Google Scholar