3D Freeform Surfaces from Planar Sketches Using Neural Networks
A novel intelligent approach into 3D freeform surface reconstruction from planar sketches is proposed. A multilayer perceptron (MLP) neural network is employed to induce 3D freeform surfaces from planar freehand curves. Planar curves were used to represent the boundaries of a freeform surface patch. The curves were varied iteratively and sampled to produce training data to train and test the neural network. The obtained results demonstrate that the network successfully learned the inverse-projection map and correctly inferred the respective surfaces from fresh curves.
Keywordsneural networks freeform surfaces sketch-based interfaces
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Karpenko, O., Hughes, J., Raskar, R.: Free-form Sketching with variational implicit surfaces. Eurographics 21, 585–594 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Igarashi, T., Matsuoka, S., Tanaka, H.: Teddy: A Sketching Interface for 3D Freeform Design. In: 26th International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 409–416 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Alexe, A., Gaildrat, V., Barth, L.: Interactive Modelling from Sketches using Spherical Implicit Functions. Computer Graphics, Virtual Reality, Visualisation and Interaction in Africa. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Computer Graphics, Virtual Reality, Visualisation and Interaction in Africa, Africa, pp. 25–34 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Lipson, H., Shpitalni, M.: Correlation-Based Reconstruction of a 3D Object from a Single Freehand Sketch. In: AAAI Spring Symposium on Sketch Understanding, Palo, Alto, USA, pp. 99–104 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Varley, P., Martin, R.: Estimating Depth from Line Drawings. Symposium on Solid Modelling, pp. 180–191. ACM press, Saarbrucken, Germany (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Peng, L.W., Shamsuddin, S.M.: 3D Object Reconstruction and Representation Using Neural Networks. In: Computer graphics and interactive techniques in Australia and South East Asia, Singapore, pp. 139–147 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Gu, P., Yan, X.: Neural network approach to the reconstruction of freeform surfaces for reverse engineering. Computer Aided Design 27 (1995)Google Scholar
- 17.Rumelhart, D.E., McClelland, J.L.: Parallel Distributed Processing: Exploration in the Microstructure of Cognition, vol. 1. MIT Press, Massachusetts (1986)Google Scholar