Probabilistic Kernel Principal Component Analysis Through Time
This paper introduces a temporal version of Probabilistic Kernel Principal Component Analysis by using a hidden Markov model in order to obtain optimized representations of observed data through time. Recently introduced, Probabilistic Kernel Principal Component Analysis overcomes the two main disadvantages of standard Principal Component Analysis, namely, absence of probability density model and lack of high-order statistical information due to its linear structure. We extend this probabilistic approach of KPCA to mixture models in time, to enhance the capabilities of transformation and reduction of time series vectors. Results over voice disorder databases show improvements in classification accuracies even with highly reduced representations.
KeywordsHide Markov Model Kernel Principal Component Analysis Principal Component Analysis Model Standard Principal Component Analysis Sustained Vowel
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Tipping, M.: Sparse kernel principal component analysis. In: Press, M. (ed.) Neural Information Processing Systems, NIPS 2000, pp. 633–639 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, C.: Probabilistic analysis of kernel principal components: mixture modeling and classification. Cfar technical report, car-tr-993, University of Maryland, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Maryland (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang, Z., Wang, G., Yeung, D., Kwok, J.: Probabilistic kernel principal component analysis. Technical report hkust-cs04-03, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Department of Computer Science, Hong Kong (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Schölkopf, B., Smola, A.: Learning with Kernels Support Vector Machines, Regularization, Optimization and Beyond. MIT Press, Cambridge (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Rabiner, L.R.: A tutorial on hidden markov models and selected applications in speech recognition. Proceedings of The IEEE 77(2) (1989)Google Scholar
- 10.Alvarez, M., Henao, R.: PCA for time series classification - supplementary material. Technical report, Universidad Tecnol´ogica de Pereira, Pereira, Colombia (2006), http://ohm.utp.edu.co/~rhenao/adminsite/elements/files/kpcattsm.pdf