Imbalanced Learning in Relevance Feedback with Biased Minimax Probability Machine for Image Retrieval Tasks
In recent years, Minimax Probability Machine (MPM) have demonstrated excellent performance in a variety of pattern recognition problems. At the same time various machine learning methods have been used on relevance feedback tasks in Content-based Image Retrieval (CBIR). One of the problems in typical techniques for relevance feedback is that they treat the relevant feedback and irrelevant feedback equally. In other words, the negative instances largely outnumber the positive instances. Hence, the assumption that they are balanced is incorrect. In this paper we study how MPM can be applied to image retrieval, more precisely, Biased MPM during the relevance feedback iterations. We formulate the relevance feedback based on a modified MPM called Biased Minimax Probability Machine (BMPM). Different from previous methods, this model directly controls the accuracy of classification of the future data to build up biased classifiers. Hence, it provides a rigorous treatment on imbalanced data. Mathematical formulation and explanations are provided for showing the advantages. Experiments are conducted to evaluate the performance of our proposed framework, in which encouraging and promising experimental results are obtained.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Image Retrieval Relevance Feedback Synthetic Dataset Relevant Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cox, I.J., Miller, M.L., Minka, T.P., Yianilos, P.N.: An optimized interaction strategy for bayesian relevance feedback. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Giacinto, G., Roli, F.: Bayesian relevance feedback for content-based image retrieval. Pattern Recognition (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Hong, P., Tian, Q., Huang, T.S.: Incorporate support vector machines to content-based image retrieval with relevance feedback. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Huang, K., Yang, H., King, I., Lyu, M.R.: Imbalanced learning with biased minimax probability machine. IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Lanckriet, G., Ghaoui, L., Bhattacharyya, C., Jordan, M.I.: Minimax probability machine. In: Advances in Neural Infonation Processing Systems (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Rui, Y., Huang, T.S., Mehrotra, S.: Content-based image retrieval with relevance feedback in mars. In: IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Su, Z., Zhang, H., Ma, S.: Relevance feedback using a bayesian classifier in content-based image retrieval. In: SPIE Electronic Imaging (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Yan, R., Hauptmann, A.G., Jin, R.: Negative pseudo-relevance feedback in content-based video retrieval. In: ACM Multimedia (2003)Google Scholar