Development of Middleware GLIA for Connective Wide Collaborative Space with Networked I/O Device
Middleware named GLIA has been developed to realize wide collaborative space with combining many desktop computers and shared work over all desktop space with a networked mouse. The middleware has been implemented with Java/Swing API and a networked mouse has been realized with mobile objects both to require no server and to guarantee scalability. The GLIA was applied to experiments to evaluate the networked mouse performance by the task that a user clicks at a target image, which was randomly appeared on the wide workspace. The results showed as follows; the mouse performance of GLIA was not inferior to an usual single mouse and supported collaboration environment of three persons with wide screens. The performance of UDP/IP implementation using GLIA was superior to both TCP/IP and Bluetooth implementation. GLIA seems to be effective for the space of idea generation method which need wide space of screen.
KeywordsMouse Agent Input Device Output Device Mouse Cursor Large Workspace
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Streitz, N., et al.: i-LAND: an interactive landscape for creativity and innovation. In: Proc. of CHI 1999, pp. 120–127 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Stefik, M.: The Next Knowledge Medium. The AI Magazine 7(1), 34–46 (1986)Google Scholar
- 4.Stefik, M., Brown, J.S.: Toward Portable Ideas. In: Olson, M.H. (ed.) Technological Support for Work Group Collaboration, pp. 147–165. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah (1989)Google Scholar
- 5.Yuizono, T., Munemori, J., Nagasawa, Y.: Application of Groupware for a New Idea Generation Consistent Support System using PDA for Input Device. In: Proc. of ICPP Workshops on INDAP, pp. 394–399. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Misue, K., et al.: Enhancing D-ABDUCTOR towards a diagrammatic user interface platform. In: Proc. of KES 1998, pp. 359–368 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Roseman, M., Grenberg, S.: Building real-time groupware with GroupKit, a groupware toolkit. In: TOCHI, vol. 3, pp. 66–106. ACM Press, New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Munemori, J., Noda, T., Yoshino, T.: Group Digital Assistant: Combined or Shared PDA Screen. In: Proc. of ICDCS 2004, pp. 682–689. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar