Accuracy of Neural Network Classifiers as a Property of the Size of the Data Set
It is well-known that the accuracy of a neural network classifier increases as the number of data points in the training set increases. A previous researcher has proposed a general mathematical model that explains the relationship between training sample size and predictive power. We examine this model using artificially generated data sets containing varying numbers of data points and some real world data sets. We find the model works well when large numbers of data points are available for training, but presents practical difficulties when the amount of available data is small and the data set is difficult to classify.
KeywordsTraining Sample Radial Basis Function Neural Network Lichen Planus Resultant Accuracy Neural Network Classifier
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Kuncheva, L.I., Hadjitodorov, S.T.: Using Diversity in Cluster Ensembles. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference SMC (2) 2004, The Hague, The Netherlands, pp. 1214–1219 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Cox, R.J., Crowther, P.S.: An Empirical Investigation into the Error Characteristcis of Neural Networks. In: Proceedings AISAT 2004 The 2nd International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Science and Technology, Hobart, Australia, November 21-25, 2004, pp. 92–97 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Crowther, P., Cox, R., Sharma, D.: A Study of the Radial Basis Function Neural Network Classifiers using Known Data of Varying Accuracy and Complexity. In: Negoita, M.G., Howlett, R.J., Jain, L.C. (eds.) KES 2004. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 3215, pp. 210–216. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Machine learning repository: http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLSummary.html
- 7.Nash, W.J., Sellers, T.L., Talbot, S.R., Cawthorn, A.J., Ford, W.B.: The Population Biology of Abalone (Haliotis species) in Tasmania. I. Blacklip Abalone (H. rubra) from the North Coast and Islands of Bass Strait. Sea Fisheries Division Technical Report #48 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Mangasarian, O.L., Wolberg, W.H.: Cancer Diagnosis via Linear Programming. SIAM News 23(5), 1–18 (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Cox, R., Clark, D., Richardson, A.: An Investigation into the Effect of Ensemble Size and Voting Threshold on the Accuracy of Neural Network Ensembles. In: The 12th Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AI 1999), Sydney, December 1999, pp. 268–277 (1999)Google Scholar