An Agent-Based System Supporting Collaborative Product Design
Collaborative design can create added value in the design and production process by bringing the benefit of team work and cooperation in a concurrent and coordinated manner. However, the difficulties arising from the differences between heterogeneous system architectures and information structures undermine the effectiveness and the success of collaborative design. This paper presents a new framework of collaborative design which adopts an agent-based approach and relocates designers, managers, systems, and supporting agents in a unified knowledge representation scheme for product design. An agent-based system capable of assisting designers in the management and coordination of collaborative design process via the cooperation of a network of agents including mainly management agents, communication agents, and design agents etc is described.
KeywordsDesign Project Collaborative Design Design Agent Intelligent Software Agent Collaborative Design Process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Frazer, J.H.: Design Workstation on the Future. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference of Computer-Aided Industrial Design and Conceptual Design (CAID &CD 2001), pp. 17–23. International Academic Publishers, Beijing (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Hao, Q., Shen, W., Park, S.-W., Lee, J.-K., Zhang, Z., Shin, B.-C.: An Agent-Based E-engineering Services Framework for Engineering Design and Optimization. In: Orchard, B., Yang, C., Ali, M. (eds.) IEA/AIE 2004. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 3029, pp. 1016–1022. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Cutkosky, M.R., Engelmore, R.S., Fikes, R.E., Genesereth, M.R., Gruber, T.R., Mark, W.S., Tenenbaum, J.M., Weber, J.C.: PACT: An experiment in integrating concurrent engineering systems. IEEE Computer 26(1), 28–37 (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Shen, W., Barthes, J.P.: An experimental environment for exchanging engineering design knowledge by cognitive agents. In: Mantyla, M., Finger, S., Tomiyama, T. (eds.) Knowledge intensive CAD-2, pp. 19–38. Chapman and Hall, Boca Raton (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Park, H., Cutkosky, M., Conru, A., Lee, S.H.: An Agent-Based Approach to Concurrent Cable Harness Design, Artificial Intelligence for Engineering Design. Analysis and Manufacturing 8(1), 45–62 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Petrie, C., Cutkosky, M., Webster, T., Conru, A., Park, H.: Next-Link: An Experiment in Coordination of Distributed Agents. In: AID 1994 Workshop on Conflict Resolution, Lausanne (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Goldmann, S.: Procura: A Project Management Model of Concurrent Planning and Design. In: Proceeding of WET ICE 1996, Stanford, CA (1996)Google Scholar