A System Assisting Acquisition of Japanese Expressions Through Read-Write-Hear-Speaking and Comparing Between Use Cases of Relevant Expressions
We are developing a system aiming at supporting learners acquiring the ability of using expressions of Japanese as 2nd language. The system assists the author to develop a collection of expression notes edited and annotated to their locations in structured texts. The authored system assists the learners to retrieve and compare usage of the expressions. Based on the experience of an evaluation experiment, a collection of prototype expression notes and an expression relational map were introduced in order to facilitate authoring and learning by comparison of usage of the same or related expressions. We then describe the subsystem for diagnosing sentence-wise blank-filling composition and its authoring system, constructed using a lexicalized grammar with feedback of giving use cases of the erroneously used expressions. Finally we report on the phonetic assistance with visualized prosody in pitch and pause being synchronized with progression of the spoken moras of the voice of the authentic speaker as well as of the learner using a speech recognition engine.
KeywordsExpression Format Semantic Category Text Location Composition Problem Expression Note
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tera, S., Kitamura, T., Ochimizu, K.: DL: A System for Assisting Comprehension of Japanese, http://www.jaist.ac.jp/tera/
- 2.St.John, E.: A Case for Using a Parallel Corpus and Concordancer for Beginners of a Foreign Language. Language Learning &Technology 5(3), 185–203 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Kakegawa, J., Nakamura, H., Sekiya, M., Itami, M., Itoh, K.: Retrieving Sample Sentences by Using Natural Language Processing for Assisting Learners and Teachers of Japanese in Second Language Learning. Japan Journal of Educational Technology 25(2), 85–94 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Nakamura, H., Unno, S., et al.: An Integrated Environment for Assisting Learning Usage of Japanese as Second Language, JSAI, Research Report, SIG-ALST-A503-09, pp.49-54 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Kakegawa, J., Kanda, H., Fujioka, E., Itami, M., Itoh, K.: Diagnosing Processing of Japanese for Computer-Assisted Second Language Learning. In: Proceedings of the 38th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Hong Kong, pp. 537–546 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Kurohashi, S.: KNP version2.0 b6: Syntax Parser of Japanese (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Fujisaki, H., Narusawa, S.: Automatic Extraction of Model Parameters from Fundamental Frequency Contours of Speech. In: Proc. 2001, 2nd Plenary Meeting and Symposium on Prosody and Speech Processing, pp. 133–138 (2002)Google Scholar