A Noise Cancelling Technique Using Non-uniform Filter Banks and Its Implementation on FPGA
The problem of estimating a signal that is corrupted by additive noise has been a interesting theme of digital signal processing field for several decades. Due to advantages over the linear methods, nonlinear methods based on wavelet transform have become increasingly popular. It has been shown that wavelet-thresholding algorithm generates near-optimal properties in the minimax sense. However, the wavelet-thresholding algorithm is very complex and difficult to implement it on hardware such as Field Programmable Gate Array(FPGA). Therefore, we need alternative simple approach for noise cancelling. In this paper, we propose a new noise cancelling algorithm with the binary tree structured filter banks and implement it on FPGA. To cancel the noise, we use the signal power ratio of each subband. For simple implementation, the filter banks are designed by Hadamard transform coefficients. From the results of simulations and hardware implementation, we show that the proposed algorithm produces a good results.
KeywordsField Programmable Gate Array Hardware Implementation Wavelet Method Noise Cancelling Field Programmable Gate Array Implementation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Donoho, D.L.: Denoising by soft-Thresholding. IEEE Trans. Information Theory, 613–627 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Vaidyanathan, P.P.: Multirate System and Filter Banks. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1993)Google Scholar
- 3.Lu, W.S.: Wavelet Approaches to still Image Denosing. In: Proceedings of 31st Asiloman Conference, pp. 1705–1709 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Tanaka, T., Duval, L.: Noise Reduction of Image with Multiple Subband Transforms. In: Proceedings of ICIP 2004, pp. 1209–1212 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Strang, G.: Wavelets and Filter Banks. Wellesley-Cambridge Press (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Nishikawa, K., Kiya, H.: New Structure of Affine Projections Algorithm using a novel subband adaptive system. In: Proceedings of 3rd IEEE Signal Processing Workshop, pp. 364–367 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Donoho, D.L., Johnstone, I.M.: Threshold selection for wavelet shrinkage of noisy data. In: IEEE Proc. New Opportunities for Biomedical Engineers, pp. A24–A25 (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Altera.: Stratix Device Handbook ver.3.3.(2005)Google Scholar