An Implementation of KSSL Recognizer for HCI Based on Post Wearable PC and Wireless Networks
A traditional study on recognition and representation of sign language based on the desktop PC have general restrictions conditionality in space and limitation of motion according to the technology of wire communication, and then the vision technology-based traditional sign langage recognition systems, recognition performance has the possibility of change and diversity according to the performance of the camera, change of background (colors) and illumination condition. To overcome these restrictions and problems, we implement embedded-sentential the Korean Standard Sign Language (hereinafter, KSSL) recognizer based on the post wearable PC for mobile and ubiquitous computing. The KSSL is a dialog system and interactive elements in the South Korea deaf communities. The advantages of our approach are as follows: 1) it improves efficiency of the KSSL input module according to the technology of wireless communication and user need not be constrained by the limitations of a particular interaction mode at any given moment, 2) it recognizes and represents continuous the KSSL of users with flexibility in real time and can offer to user a wider range of personalized and differentiated information more effectively, and 3) it is possible more effective and free interchange of ideas and information between deaf person and hearing person (the public). Experimental result shows an average recognition rate of 93.3% for the KSSL sentences and 96.9% for the KSSL words with significant, dynamic and continuous the KSSL.
KeywordsSign Language Hand Gesture Motion Tracker Average Recognition Rate Data Glove
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Use of Signs in Hearing Communities, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language
- 2.Jang, H.-Y., Kim, D.-J., Kim, J.-B., Bien, Z.-N.: A Study on Hand-Signal Recognition System in 3-Dimensional Space. Journal of IEEK. 2004-41CI-3-11. IEEK (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Kim, S.-G.: Standardization of Signed Korea. Journal of KSSE 9. KSSE (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Kim, S.-G.: Korean Standard Sign Language Tutor, 1st edn. Osung Publishing Company, Seoul (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.5DT Data Glove 5 Manual and FASTRAK® Data Sheet, http://www.5dt.com
- 6.Relational DataBase Management System, http://www.auditmypc.com/acronym/RDBMS.asp
- 7.Oracle 10g DW Guide.: SQL for Analysis and Reporting, http://www.oracle.com
- 8.Kim., J.-H., Kim., D.-G., Shin, J.-H., Lee., S.-W., Hong, K.-S.: Hand Gesture Recognition System using Fuzzy Algorithm and RDBMS for Post PC. In: Wang, L., Jin, Y. (eds.) FSKD 2005. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 3614, Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Chen, C.H.: Fuzzy Logic and Neural Network Handbook, 1st edn. McGraw-Hill, New York (1992)Google Scholar