Reserve Price Recommendation by Similarity-Based Time Series Analysis for Internet Auction Systems
It is very important that sellers provide reasonable reserve prices for auction items in internet auction systems. We recently have proposed the agent based system in order to generate reserve prices automatically, based on the case similarity of information retrieval theory and the moving average of time series analysis. However, the approaches have some problems that they can not reflect the recent trend of auction prices on the generated reserve prices properly, because they only provide the bid prices or average prices of items, by using the past auction data for sellers. In this paper, in order to overcome the problems, we propose Similarity-Based Time Series Analysis which search the past bid price through case similarity and then generate reserve prices by using time series analysis. Through performance experiments, we show that the successful bid rate of the new method can be improved by preventing sellers from making unreasonable reserve prices compared with the past methods.
KeywordsTime Series Analysis Reserve Price Auction Price Exponential Smoothing Agent Base System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carbone, H.C.: Forecasting Trends and Seasonal by Exponentially Weighted Moving Averages. Carnegie Institute of Technology 2(52) (1957)Google Scholar
- 2.Frakes, W.B.: Information Retrieval- Data Structures & Algorithms. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Drucker, P.F., et al.: Accurate Business Forecasting. Harvard Business School Press (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Jones, C.P.: Investments-Analysis and Management, 8th edn. Wiley, Chichester (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Ko, M.J., Lee, Y.K.: Automatic Reserve Price Generation for an Internet Auction System Using Moving Average. Journal of Society for e-Business Studies 9(2), 17–31 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.LeBaron, B.: Do Moving Average Tradiule Imply Nonlinearities in Foreign Exchange Markets? Technical Report 9222, Social Systems Research Institute, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Shumway, R.H., Stoffer, D.S.: Time Series Analysis and Its Application. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.eBay Auction Guideline (2003), http://webhelp.ebay.com/cgi-bin/eHNC
- 12.Korea Encar List (2004), http://www.encar.co.kr/proc23/23000.jsp
- 13.Korea Glovis Secondhand Trend (2004), http://www.hkaa.co.kr/Sise/SerCond01.aspx
- 14.Korea Cellphone Site (2004), http://used4989.com/home2
- 15.Korea Phonemore Site (2004), http://www.phonemoa.co.kr