Considering a Semantic Prefetching Scheme for Cache Management in Location-Based Services
Dissemination techniques of data have been rapidly developed for wireless communication environment. Since the advent of ubiquitous computing, semantic-based researches have been sped-up between service provider and user. We have tried to maintain user information with a semantic cache scheme. In this paper, we propose a semantic prefetching (SP) strategy for efficient data management, considering semantic information of user. We concentrate on data prefetching methods to send mass data to high bandwidth channels. In the SP, the prepared semantic descriptions are prefetched from server to client according as the client locates in anywhere. The semantic descriptions are dynamically composed of user patterns, such as the request patterns of user, the size of querying area, the direction of user and the average speed of user. We also propose a new cache management scheme, called to semantic least recently used (S-LRU). The evaluation result shows that the system performance is significantly improved.
KeywordsRange Query Cache Size Semantic Description Segment Size Query Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Seydim, A.Y., Dunham, M.H., Kumar, V.: Location Dependent Query Processing. In: Proc. of Second ACM Int. Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, pp. 47–53 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Dar, S., Franklin, M.J., Jonsson, B.T., Srivatava, D., Tan, M.: Semantic data caching and replacement. In: Proc. of the VLDB Conf., pp. 330–341 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Liu, G.: Exploitation of location-dependent caching and prefetching techniques for supporting mobile computing and communications. In: Proc. of the Sixth Int. Conf. on Wireless Communications, pp. 11–13 (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Ren, Q., Dunham, M.H.: Using semantic caching to manage location dependent data in mobile computing. In: Proc. of MobiCom 2000, pp. 210–221 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Barbara, D.: Sleepers and Workaholics: Caching Strategies in Mobile Environments. In: ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, pp. 1–12 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.lee, C.K.K., Leong, H.V., Si, A.: Semantic Query Caching in a Mobile Environment. In: MC2R vol. 3(2) (April 1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Oren, N.: A Survey of prefetching techniques, TR-Wits-CS-2000-10 (July 2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Lin, D., Jensen, C.S., Ooi, B.C., Saltenis, S.: Efficient indexing of the historical, present, and future positions of moving objects. In: Mobile Data Management, pp. 59–66 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Bellocci, V., Genovese, S., Inuaggiato, D., Tucci, M.: Mobile Location-Aware Services: 2002 Market Perspective. Ericsson, Divison Service Architecture and Interractive Solutions (2002)Google Scholar