Artificial Immune System-Based Customer Data Clustering in an e-Shopping Application
We address the problem of adaptivity of the interaction between an e-shopping application and its users. Our approach is novel, as it is based on the construction of an Artificial Immune Network (AIN) in which a mutation process is incorporated and applied to the customer profile feature vectors. We find that the AIN-based algorithm yields clustering results of users’ interests that are qualitatively and quantitatively better than the results achieved by using other more conventional clustering algorithms. This is demonstrated on user data that we collected using Vision.Com, an electronic video store application that we have developed as a test-bed for research purposes.
KeywordsFeature Vector Spectral Cluster Immune Network Probabilistic Latent Semantic Analysis Shopping Cart
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brusilovsky, P.: Adaptive Hypermedia, User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, vol. 11, pp. 87–110. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Jin, X., Zhou, Y., Mobasher, B.: Unified Approach to Personalization Based on Probabilistic Latent Semantic Models of Web Usage and Content. In: Proceedings of the AAAI 2004 Workshop on Semantic Web Personalization (SWP 2004), San Jose (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Adil, C.S., Banaei, F.F., Faruque, K.J.: INSITE: A Tool for Real-Time Knowledge Discovery from Users Web Navigation. In: Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Very Large Databases, Cairo, Egypt (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Menczer, F., Monge, A.E., Street, W.N.: Adaptive Assistants for Customized E-Shopping. Journal of IEEE Intelligent Systems, 12–19 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Jin, X., Zhou, Y., Mobasher, B.: Web usage mining based on probabilistic latent semantic analysis. In: Proceedings of ACM SIGKDD (KDD 2004), pp. 197–205 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Ajith, A.: 6. Business Intelligence from Web Usage Mining. Journal of Information & Knowledge Management 2(4), 375–390 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, Q., Makaroff, D.J., Edwards, H.K.: Characterizing Customer Groups for an Ecommerce Website. In: Proceedings of ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce (EC 2004), New York, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Cayzer, S., Aickelin, U.: A Recommender System based on the Immune Network. In: Proceedings of the 2002 Congress on Evolutionary Computation (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Morrison, T., Aickelin, U.: An Artificial Immune System as a Recommender for Web Sites. In: Proceedings of the 1st Conference on ARtificial Immune Systems (ICARIS-2002), Canterbury, UK, pp. 161–169 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.De Castro, L.N., Timmis, J.: Artificial Immune Systems: A New Computational Inteligence Approach, 1st edn. Springer, London, Berlin, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Rich, H.: User Modeling via Stereotypes, Cognitive Science, vol. 3, pp. 329–354. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1979)Google Scholar