Reconstructing Symmetric Curved Surfaces from a Single Image and Its Application
Recent advances in single view reconstruction (SVR) have been in modeling 3D curved surfaces and automation. We extend the SVR along the first direction in several ways: (i) We study the reconstruction of curved surfaces under perspective projection rather than orthographic projection. (ii) We illustrate that the horizontally flipped image of the reflective symmetric objects is equivalent to an image photographed from another position under the simplified perspective projection. So the traditional structure from motion techniques can be used to recover the 3D feature points on them. They can be used to create the planar model of the object and be used as position constraints to generate curved surfaces. (iii) New linear constraints, such as perspective projection, are exploited to the linearly constrained quadratic optimization to finding the smoothest surface. We demonstrate these advances in reconstructing real symmetric curved surfaces and objects.
KeywordsFeature Point Curve Surface Perspective Projection World Coordinate System Symmetric Plane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Prasad, M., Zisserman, A., Fitzgibbon, A.: Single View Reconstruction of Curved Surfaces. In: Proceedings of CVPR 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Horry, Y., Aniyo, K., Arai, K.: Tour into the Picture: Using a Spidery Mesh Interface to Make Animation from a Single Image. In: Proceedings of SIGGRAP 1997, pp. 225–232 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Sturm, P., Maybank, S.J.: A method for interactive 3D reconstruction of piecewise planar objects from single images. In: Proceedings of BMVC (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Zhang, L., Dugas-Phocion, G., Samson, J.S., Seitz, S.M.: Single view modeling of free-form scenes. In: Proceedings of CVPR, pp. 990–997 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Prasad, M., Fitzgibbon, A.W., Zisserman, A.: Fast and controllable 3D modelling from silhouette. In: Proceedings of Eurographics (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Cipolla, R., Drummond, T., Robertson, D.: Camera calibration from vanishing points in images of architectural scenes. In: Proceedings of BMVC, pp. 382–391 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Liu, P., Shi, J., Sun, X.: Reconstruction of Architecture Model by Planar Surfaces. Journal of CAD & CG 16, 1045–1050 (2004) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Bougnoux, S.: From projective to euclidean space under any practical situation A criticism of self-calibration. In: Proceedings of ICCV, pp. 790–796 (1998)Google Scholar